Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG advice for Monday 3-13
I’m taking my snowmobile over to FG this coming Monday. Never been before but I think I’ll start from Lucerne Camp Ground. With warmer temps coming this first trip may be the last of the year. If someone is there this weekend an ice report would be very appreciated. I know the ice was good on Wed.  Plus any lake trout tips anyone has for the Gorge. I’m flying a little blind, I have an avionics app and have marked some drops and humps. Specifically, should I be fishing the bottom of a drop or the top? How deep or shallow? Should I be fishing before sun up or does it matter? Tip my jigs with sucker meat or not? I’m using 5-7” white, glow, or green tubes with 1-1.5 oz hooks. Thanks for the help.
Definitely yes on the sucker meat. We've had success with smaller jigs, 4-5". White and glow are go-tos. You don't have to use jigs that are that heavy. Three-quarters to one oz work fine. Fish near the bottom but watch your finder for fish up higher. This is concerning fishing for pups; going after the bigguns is a whole nuther can of worms. I can't really speak to that. Good luck and have fun. Oh, one other thought: they have very hard mouths so hit them a good one to sink the hook. In that regard I've had better luck with braid.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

X2 for what catchinon said on pups and burbot. If you're chasing the big boys, I wouldnt use bait and keep the hook or hooks tucked in the jig. fish it close to the bottom and try not to move it to much if you get a fish eyeballing it. Usually with my luck i only get one bite. Experiment with scents. I use a 30lb braid and 20lb fluorocarbon leader on my deep (60-100ft+) fishing rods to ensure a good hook set. Make sure you set it good if ones on. The navonics are good for getting in the general area but you definitely need to punch some holes and check depths. Points coming up out of deep water are good spots to spend an hr. Or more.