Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atomic Teasers?
Curious how people rig up atomic teasers for ice fishing? The 1/32 oz teasers sink too slowly and I'm not sure the 1/16 oz offerings are much better. I've tried them plain, beneath a spoon/flasher (like a Kastmaster or Swedish Pimple, with and without treble attached), and with a little bit bigger split shot just above the atomic teaser. Seem to be effective at Strawberry and Scofield on cutthroats and rainbows.

Anybody try them on a drop shot setup? Or above a spoon? Just looking for some different ideas.

Thanks in advance!

jack of all tackle, master of none
Tying them as a drop shot above a spoon is exactly what I was going to suggest.

In fact, tying in a plain hook to hold bait or something like a nymph fly can be deadly. You just have to be careful not to snag that high hook on the ice when bringing in a fish caught on the spoon.

Look up "drop shot knot" on Youtube.
Another approach is split shot about 6 to 10" above the lure. I usually go this route because a hard jig will give the lure a little more action.
Thanks Rocky - I just started drop shotting this year and really like it. I have previously used what some call a Michigan rig
which is a fly 8-16" above a jig. I tie some balanced leaches (basically a miniature balance marabou jig) and those have produced at Strawberry. Also lots of success with hare's ear, copper john, and similar nymphs in that upper position. Want to try some scuds this year.

I also last year tried a whitefish slider rig, which is a spoon below with a sliding jig or hook 8-24" above, and positioned above a small swivel so the upper offering can go higher and flutter back down, but can't go lower than the swivel.)

And yeah, that upper hook tends to snag if not securely in a fish's mouth!

jack of all tackle, master of none
The body gets destroyed after catching several fish and unhooking them. I've found that just using the tail works as long as you tip with a wax worm. I think the bling of the "lead" also helps attract the fish.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.