Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sevier (lower)
I have never stopped and fished it, but every time I drive over the Sevier on I-15 I can't help but wonder if there are a few Cats or Walleye in swimming in the river that one way or another made their way down from Yuba. Has anyone ever had any luck for any species of fish (besides carp) in this stretch of water?
[signature]
A few years ago we caught walleye and cats along with carp out of the spillway, I've heard of walleye and trout down lower.
[signature]
I've caught cats and walleyes in that stretch of river. But it has been ten years since I fished it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You used to be able to either drive down or walk down to the river below the dam. Thanks to a lot of vandalism, fishing or access is no longer permitted down there, but you can walk up from road access on the other side of the Sevier River.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Back in the days of a healthy Yuba Reservoir, there was great fishing below the dam and for many miles down the river. I have caught walleyes, northerns, perch, cats, rainbows, suckers and chubs from the lower river.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The past drought years not only wiped out the lake, but a good part of the downstream fishery too. From what I have heard, carp were about the only species to survive in the stagnant water in the few pools remaining in the river. There was no water coming through the dam for a long time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lake filled and spilled this year, filling the river again. If there were any fish left in the system, it will probably take them a few years to repopulate. As in the past, some fish will shoot through the spillway of the dam, so there will be some "stocking" of the river that way.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Years ago I got permission from the land owner and hiked into the area from the freeway underpass on the frontage road along I-15. About a mile toward Yuba dam are the Blue Springs coming out of the hillside on the west. Years ago my uncles used to fish there for trout, but all I saw were minnows, carp, and suckers. I used to fish the Sevier River from Leamington canyon and along the train tracks towards Mills and had fun catching white bass, small mouth, channel cats, and carp. I never did very good on the walleyes. I don't know what kind of shape the fishery is in now after the drought years. Once I took my sons fishing to the end of the Highline Canal where it dropped into a pool and then ran to the Fool Creek reservoir. When we first looked over the bank there were probably fifty to sixty small mouth bass lined up head to tail, side to side, like they were in military formation. Nathan threw out a jig and caught two bass, and then we never got another bite. I guess they were spooked then. I went back several times later, and never saw them lined up on the surface again like that. Acey
[signature]
When I lived in Richfield (about 25 yrs ago) I fished the stilling pond at the Yuba outlet a lot. I got acquainted with the watermaster, a nice old fellow. His last name was Quarenburg, don't remember his first name. He would let me know when they shut the river down in the fall & I'd beat feet out there. For a week or two it was walleye slaughter time. Then they'd get thinned out. I've caught a lot of walleye, the occasional big brown or 'bow and a lot of perch outta that hole.

When they were releasing a big stream of water, I could walk the shore looking in the holes between the riprap & pick up a jillion little tiny perch & minnows that had their air bladders busted from the pressure drop when they came through the headgate. The holes in the rocks were just full of them. I'd pick just the fresh ones. Those 'eyes that live in that hole have a banquet washing by them all summer.
[signature]
Hey guys
Thanks for the great info. It sounds like that stretch will definately be worth hitting as soon as yuba recovers. Maybe when I'm at Yuba one of these weekends, I'll give it a shot just for the heck of it. Thanks again.
HC
[signature]
Geezer- I remember about 10 years ago I was fishing the Yuba spillway and there were thousands of dead baby perch going around and around in the current and laying dead on the bank. Rod, a friend from Delta, that was a good jig fisherman caught lots of walleyes there that day, and I didn't have the knack of the presentation to even get a hit. Of course he did that to me every time I went fishing with him, but eventually I started learning a few of his tricks. If only I could remember them now. We float tubed Garrison Reservoir together once and he caught two of the Sacramento Perch there. I never caught one, and several trips back later still never did. He could jig the bass out of the holes around the railroad trestles going toward Leamington. Acey
[signature]
Hey, Acey,

Your comment about the Sacramento perch in Pruess (or Garrison) res. really piqued my curiosity. I remember fishing there in the spring around 50 or so yrs. ago & catching a tubful of those perch. We'd fish the stream right where it enters the res. & take them about as fast as we could pull them out.

Anyway, how long ago did you catch the perch there? I haven't heard a thing about it for 30 or more yrs. In fact the last I heard was from the DWR. I guess they put some LMB in there around then & did a gill net survey to see how they were doing & found some Sacramento perch fry in the LMB stomachs.

I absolutely love that country out there, in fact I've got roots that probably go 50 ft. down in the soil around Baker.

On the subject of the Yuba spillway, I used to haul a pickup load of trash outta down there a couple times a year. Wonder if a few of us more responsible fisher types found who to contact & agreed to help keep the area clean if they would consider letting us in there again? Maybe even on a special permit basis.
[signature]
Geezer- It was nine years ago when I moved from Delta to Tremonton, so I imagine it was about eleven years ago when I last fished the Garrison reservoir. There used to be some nice channel cats in there, so I am not sure what is left in there now.

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have deleted all the personal information given out on this post.I would not appreciate someone giving out my phone number on the internet for all to see. The owners of the property, I'm sure, don't want their info here either. Use the PM or E-mail for other's info exchange. You can do as you like with your own. Thanks for understanding. BLM[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry for being a little late. I deleted the responses to the personal info of others being posted. I think that by deleting the info and the responses, this thread can be continued. Please respect other's right to privacy. Thanks. BLM[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sorry BLM. I blew that one. Thanks for taking the action to maintain the privacy of the land owners. Acey
[signature]