Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch a Cure for Cancer Tournament
[cool][#0000ff]Hey folks, anyone who can make it should mark their calendars for the 24th of June. The sixth annual Catch a Cure tournament will be held at Starvation...bass and walleye...to help kids.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_3861053"]LINK TO ARTICLE[/url] in today's Tribune.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If starvation wasnt so far away and they didnt charge so much for entry fees they could probably get a lot more people entering and raise a lot more money i bet.[Wink]
[signature]
Dude, its not a money winning tournament. Those of us that has won immediately hand the winnings back after taking pictures. Its about the kids. I've fished it four years now, and it the best thing I get to do all year. Take up a collection or get some sponsors, you won't regret it.

Go to, Catchacureforcancer.com for website information.

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay folks, lighten up. Like many "charity" events, this one is clearly a bit pricey for the "average" Utah angler. Unless you are a pro angler, with sponsors who foot the bill, it is hard to commit to supporting anything to the tune of a couple hundred dollars. Those with families, mortgages and limited income have to allocate their funds differently than someone for whom that is "play money".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't think any of us would ever think badly of the cause or say anything bad about the tournament per se. It is just that we need to deal with reality.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I personally do not know why Starvation was chosen as the venue, rather than Jordanelle, Deer Creek or Pineview. But, that is the way it is, and the distance alone is a negative for many folks. Last I checked, gas had not dropped much in price.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The article was written and the notices posted just to make everyone aware that the tournament is going to be held again this year so that those who can participate will be able to make the necessary arrangements. If you can't help the kids with this tournament, that doesn't make you a bad person. There are lots of ways to help where you can, and to gain the joys and benefits of participating.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
First local, it is a Walleye/Bass tournament. The founder Jerry Schlief and wife Carri are walleye anglers. So, Starvation is a multi-speicies local. Also, you can use "Livewells" there and release the fish.

Second, the "Catch-A-Cure" is a fundraiser for cancer ridden children. Some us put alot of our funds just to support this cause. I know a couple of people that support this cause and can't travel or fish the rest of the year. The participants just want to get the word out because alot of people would like to be apart of this cause. The first two years they had it I wanted to help out, but I couldn't. Now, my years scheduling starts with this event.(and this year, I'm going have to coast the the hill to Lindon boat harbor and use my electric if want to fish more this year)

If you can't fish, come out and watch the weigh-in and be part of the raffle. You won't regret it.

[signature]
You guys make me laugh, Hey Tomegun-Does CUBM still have their "side tourney" at the same time?
[signature]
Central split as a club. Its just a figment of someones imagination now[unimpressed].

[signature]
Thats too bad, well I'm off to Starvation right now. Hope the wind doesn't beach me...
[signature]
Gonna try to make it that day and not just to fish .
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If we get a few BFTers who want to show support, but not necessarily by fishing, we might set up a couple of car pools. Whatever we save on gas we could put in the kids' kitty.[/#0000ff]
[signature]