Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wyoming fishing
i decided to ask here first before i ask on the wyoming boards cause i know alot of yall fish wyoming, even if it is extensivley FG.

so heres the deal. i have applied for a duty position at FE Warren in cheyenne. to be 100% honest, i applied for it, for the schedule. 72 hours on, 4 days off, for the free time and chance to fish my butt off during the spring summer and fall..... i dont ice fish, and just like Trout_Slayer the only ice you will ever find me near is the stuff in my Jameson and Coke.

that being said anyone have some different experiances fishing around wyoming aside from FG? with a 4 day weekend, and a boat, im thinking about buying a van/small rv and towing the boat every where to get some good fishing in. i know about below the gorge since i have floated it.

what about anything else out towards the east? Seminoe Res i believe i will have to ask about on the WY boards, would just like to get others input on the state in general.

any helpful advice would be great. im also thinking of buying a house and not afraid of driving 45 minutes one way to get to work, plus i like living out in the sticks where no one will bother me.

im also starting to think about getting back into elk hunting. how is public land up there? can you get a CCW (concealed weapons liscense)? mine has expired from california last november.

once again any input about the state would be much appreciated!
[signature]
We fish Fontenelle, Boysen, Buffalo Bill and the lakes on the Platte river great fishing for many species. Not a soul around either.
[signature]
I lived in Wyoming over a few years, and spent some time in Laramie which is close to Cheyenne. Like Idaho, Wyoming offers a special and most would say 'better' kind of fishing than Utah. You won't see over crowded lakes or rivers. You will see larger trout. Some of the drawbacks are the wind (seems like it never stops blowing), and the cold winters. If you can brave the elements, you will be rewarded with big fish.

Some of the lakes and rivers I've fished over there near Laramie:

Lake Meebor, Lake Hattie, Twin Buttes, and the Laramie River. There's another great little lake just off the interstate close to Laramie and I can't recall the name at the moment. A blue ribbon river runs close to there- the famous Platte River- which I never got a chance to fish unfortunately.
[signature]
My brother lives in Sidney and drives to fish the Platte. It is an awesome river with both wading and floating possibilities. It is not uncommon to catch 25"+ fish. If you like to hunt you will be greatly rewarded. There is good elk hunting around there as well as deer. I don't know if you goose hunt but there are tons of geese around that area. If you want my specifics send me a PM and will give you my brothers e-mail and he can let you know more.

C&R
[signature]
[quote lavaman] Some of the drawbacks are the wind (seems like it never stops blowing), and the cold winters. If you can brave the elements, you will be rewarded with big fish.

Just remember winter lasts about 6-8 months up there. Not all bad because if it didn't resemble the Artic half of the year it would be overun with a lot more people.
[signature]
Now you're talkin!!!!

Personally I absolutely love Cheyenne. I wish I had the opportunity to live there. Land is cheap and so are the houses. There is not alot of Public land right next to Cheyenne but there is plenty within an hours drive.

As for fishing somewhat close to Cheyenne, there is Glendo and Greyrocks Reservoirs to the North. Wheatland Res. over by Laramie. Seminoe and Pathfinder Reservoirs a couple of hours away. Good waters for bass, panfish, trout, walleye, and sauger. Then of course there is the Gorge about three hours away. For rivers there is the Laramie, Platte and Medicine Bow. All three are Blue Ribbon trout rivers.

Elk and Mule Deer hunting is really good in the Snowy Range which is part of the Medicine Bow National Forest. There are also plentiful amounts of White Tails and Antelope in that part of the state but most are on private land. Being a Wyoming resident would allow you the opportunity to hunt nice deer and elk every year without having to draw.

Wyoming is a "Shall" issue state for CCW permits. With you having military service is all you would have to do is go to a Sheriff's office complete the background aplication, get finger prints, pay $79, and you will get it in a few weeks.

Wyoming also does not have any Income Tax, and our state is not broke like the rest of the country.
[signature]