Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto pilot owners.
Hey guys, I know theres a couple of you out there who own aout pilots and have a few questions.

Let me start by saying, I am asking these questions because I am currently installing one on the boat.

I was completley unaware in purchasing the motor that if the bow raises more than five degrees from level, the compas binds up and the auto pilot stops working. For those of you who have been using them for a while, is this a problem? Am I going to be on jordanelle bass fishing and have a ski boat come by and have my motor stop working because the wake is rocking my boat? Or be walleye fishing on willard in three foot rollers and have the motor continually getting lost?

Yes, copilot and the foot pedal are nice features, but I would like the auto pilot to work too.

Also, whats with the stow and deploy on these motors? The old scissor mount with the rope and handle was pretty convienient compared to bending over the hull, grabing hold of the shaft and pulling up the motor.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying its all bad and I wished I did something else, I havent even used the motor yet. I am just reading the owners manual and wondering what the opinions and expirience of those of you who have them is.

Also is there any other things good or bad, like or dislike that you would want to share with a new owner of such a motor to make my expirience as a new owner better?

Thanks for the info, and opinions.
[signature]
Hey Predator, I mounted mine too far off level and it does have problems. You push the auto pilot button and it goes straight for a minute and then takes off in a circle.

Sometimes it works great. I aim at a point and push the button. Everything goes fine and I can just fish till we get there.

Get it level and it should work well.

As far as pulling it up,,,no big deal. Just grab the top of the motor and push the lever down. It folds right back to you. You really don't have to bend over much to pull it up.

The hardest thing sometime is getting the motor back down. It locks in place pretty tight and when its hot its hard to push it out off the cradle. Once its out of the cradle it will go down easy. Just make sure the notch lines up and drops in. You'll see.

More than anything, I wish the wrist strap was longer on my remote. It's hard to hit the right buttons with coveralls on over the remote.

And you can't cover your ears. Gotta be able to hear the beeps to know what speed your at.

I love my auto pilot. Wouldn't trade it for any other motor on the market.

good luck

walleyebob
[signature]
I have had mine for 5 yrs or more cant remember when they first came out but thats when I bought mine,The only problem I have had is on very cold days,Thats when I have had it turn in circles,not sure if it is the remote or the motor,I think its the remote,I went with the wireless footpad so I could be in the back of the boat when trolling,and I would have to say its been the a very reliable motor,in big waves 2 to 3 footers it will move back and forth but have never had it stop running,the auto pilot is really nice,more fishing less steering,and it does work very nicely on windy days also,your boat may be going sideways but your still heading in the direction you pionted it.Sounds like you got a new model,wish I had the co-pilot option but its always been wireless so it aint that big of a deal.

You will like the motor alot,and be on the water alot longer.MINNKOTA POWER TO BURN.

Later,Tony[cool]
[signature]