Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco recipes?
I was wondering if anyone has some good cisco recipes I would like to cook them up like sardines to eat the bone and all. I've only used them for bait but here a lot about how good they are any recipe would help thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF]Small bony fish can all be made easily edible...bones and all...by either pickling or slow baking. Vinegar dissolves the bones (pickling) and long slow heat cooks them until they fall apart. Lots of folks can them in a pressure cooker. That also softens the bones.

I used to cook American shad caught from the west coast waters to become "uncanned sardines". Basically just head, gut and scale them. Then put them in one layer either in foil or a covered glass baking dish. Then sprinkle on some sliced onions, a few thinly sliced tomatoes and/or any other veggies you might like. Make a mix of mustard and tomato sauce and spread it lightly over the fish. Then spice it up with salt, pepper and maybe some chili powder flakes.

Cover and bake at about 300 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours...depending on thickness and desired end result. Bones be gone. Makes a great sub sandwich with some tartar sauce and lettuce...and fresh tomato. Not bad to just munch with some cheese and crackers while watching the game either. And if you are a salad person, knock yerself out with the nuked fishies.

By the way, you can get the same result by pressure cooking them with your favorite fish canning recipe.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TD that sounds awesome. I will try baking em tonight the kids are excited
[signature]