Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tin-Can = Willard Tow boat
Made it to WB south about 7:30 AM, wind came up and it got choppy enough for me to decide to ride it out in the marina. Going back into the south marina, a guy with his lady in an older Fiberform was in the rocks on the west corner of the channel outlet. An older boat he had just bought and was giving it his first test run. The motor died on him. With no motor, and the wind up pretty good, he had been blown into the rocks, no getting out. I offered him a tow. After finally getting close enough to him to toss a rope, pulled him into the marina dock. OK, good deed for the day. Wind calmed quite a bit about an hour later.
Got back out and headed north-east, took a hit by a cookie cutter Kitty, boated and released. Made it in a big looping right turn to Freeway Bay. Wind back up some, so anchored out, tossed out some worms. A young and not yet educated Wiper hit one worm. Boated and released. Wind calmed even more and I headed to west wall. Took a couple more Wiper hits, boated one (no photo), and lost one at the boat side. Both bigger than the baby caught earlier, but not by much. Then about 2.5 hours uneventful. To the west wall, turned south and followed it around most of the way back along the south dike. Picked a spot for no real reason, anchored out and decide to soak the rest of the worms I had with me. Caught 2 more standard Willard Cats. Boated and released. Had 2 or 3 hit and runs that came unbuttoned somewhere before reaching the boat and on my very last worm a bit screaming hit and run, about a 5 minute fight, and very large Carp got to within spitting distance of the boat. I saw him, he saw me, and "SNAP" he was gone !!
Decided to call it a day. Got the Tin-Can all tidied up and did a speed run (all 10.5 mph...lol [laugh] ) back to marina. And now for dejavu all over again.... a bigger, older fiberglass boat (type I don't know) in the middle of the channel with a guy and a girl trying to row it in to the marina. Not making a lot of headway, and obviously running out of "steam". Yep, I gave them a tow on into the docks.
Will be the Tin-Can's last trip to the water for the next week or more. Taking a trip to Ohio next week.

Found the other 2 fish photos on my phone. With all the other activity yesterday, forgot I had taken them.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice report, good sumaritizing on ya there. Us boaters gotta look out for one another. Now a jetskiier being ignored by his own, well, that's another story.

Bet the bugs were at bay, or should I say - not - with all the wind. Sounds like the fish were frisky enough. You do get around my friend! Glad YOU had a good safe outing.
Could always tell when the wind was calming, bugs increased. But overall wasn't bad. From about 1 PM to 4 PM when I left, the weather was almost perfect. Slight breeze to repel the bugs, and provide a cool from the sun, but not too much to chop the water.

I don't care for the big ski boats that have no respect for how close they come to a stationary or slow trolling fishing boat, same goes for the jet skis. But I have towed many of both in to the marinas or docks at Willard, East Canyon, Rockport, even one at Utah Lake. I figure what comes around, goes around. Who knows, I may need a tow in some day. Funny thing, I've only towed one fishing boat in 10 years. Does that mean fishing boats are better cared for by their owners ?
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Good job!!! Helping others will be repayed sometime somewhere.
[signature]
Last year i towed someone in that fell out of their canoe up in the Uintas. Always willing to help out where I can. Good job and nice report![cool]
[signature]
I thought that was you towing that couple in. 2 of my friends and I passed you in the channel on our way out.
It was slow catching but nobody got the skunk.
Good on you for being a good Samaritan.
[signature]