Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River UT Catfish-Labyrinth Canyon
Just thought I'd post up a couple comments about a trip we did over the weekend down Labyrinth Canyon on the Green River. I came to this website looking for some fishing reports on the area in the archives and thought I should post up a quick report.

We put our canoes in at Ruby Ranch and floated to Mineral Bottom. We covered 15 miles the first day, 22 miles the 2nd day and 8 miles the last day. Before the trip I called and talked to Walt at the Price, UT office of the UT DWR. He said there are a lot of catfish in the section of the Green we are going to. He suggested night crawlers for smaller ones, chicken livers or frozen shrimp for bigger ones. He said we may find them stunted because there are too many of them. He recommended watching for a little riffle where it drops into a big hole. He said the cats will come up to the edge of the riffle to feed in the mornings and evenings. He also said there are a few smallmouths and some big walleye down by the confluence. To fish for those, one could cast jigs in the rocks or little crank baits.

We took sucker meat and frozen raw shrimp. We fished with a #4 size worm hook and a couple of split shot sinkers in the mornings and evenings. If we weren't catching one every 5 minutes we were getting a bite. We found the shrimp worked a little better than the sucker meat, but they both did pretty well. We did not catch any catfish bigger than 11 or 12 inches and in total we fished for a total or 2-3 hours. We tried fishing a bit out of the canoes while we floated. We tried bait under a bobber but had a bit of a trouble messing with it.

This is a gorgeous area. It is super remote. Fishing was just one small piece of the adventure. Highly recommended.
[signature]
Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing.[cool]
[signature]
Nice report and pics, we sure don't get many from that lower section of the Green. If I remember correctly they encourage folks to keep all catfish caught there. Sounds like a great trip but I'm curious did you have any problems with bears? I've heard there have been problem with them in that area. Did you see an old abandoned cabin along the way? How many of you made the trip?
[signature]
Nice report thanks!, I plan to venture down to the lower Green shortly,
I also talked to Walt (good guy) He pointed me at those wallys also. Never caught one so I am going to give it a shot.
Too bad the cats shrunk since my heyday in those parts
But heck I can do my part to thin them out and get some good eats out of the deal.

Just wish it wasn't so dang hot right now, Oh well I can always plop down in the river and fish on my hindquarters
[signature]
I was hoping for reports of some bigger cats![Image: happy.gif] I make a trip down to the Green near the town of Green River every Memorial Day, and have yet to catch a cat over 18". Like you said, it's very easy to catch grundles of tiny kitties.

I've talked to some locals down there, and actually there was a post on here a couple years back, and have heard of some bigger (5 lb+) kitties coming out of there. I actually talked to one guy who told me that he goes out on his farm and shoots gophers, cuts them in half, and uses them for bait, and catches hogs on the regular.

There has got to be some real big fish in there with how big the river is. I haven't caught the monster yet, but I will continue trying every Memorial Day that I can.
[signature]
I need to drive a car to grand junction and when I do I plan to stop at the green and Colorado to catch some kitties.
[signature]
our group size was 10 people in 5 canoes. The Tamarask trees really choke the sides of that water way and because the water was pretty high there weren't as many places to camp. The good news was the water was flowing between 2-4 miles per hour so we made pretty good time.
[signature]