Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Utah Thoughts?
Heading south for the next week and a half and am hoping to hit a few different places. I was originally thinking Sand Hollow, but with the muscles, not sure anymore. So I am thinking Quail. Anyone have suggestions where to put in a tube for best results. I'd appreciate thoughts on Quail and SH. Also, any ideas what they are hitting?

Also thinking of Newcastle at some point. Want to try for some Wiper. Any news coming out of there?

PM would be great if preferred. Thanks all.
[signature]
If sand hollow has the muscle I don't know how quail doesn't. The water runs from sand hollow to quail. Decon the boat when you are done regardless where you go. If it were me is fish sand hollow. Camp grounds are nice. Don't pick one on top as the wind about took my trailer down the hill last year.
[signature]
If you go to Sand Hollow, you will be required to have your pontoon or float tube washed. You will have to wait in line with all the other boats waiting to be washed. It could be a wait of a couple hours...

I'd avoid Sand Hollow. Go fish Quail Creek, or Gunlock.

It might be a little too early for the wipers at Newcastle.
[signature]
I'd still get in line and get it washed if you fish Quail. The rest of the resevoirs in the state deserve that. I'm amazed the State hasn't mandated it already. Quail is nice too. You're not going to go wrong either place, I just like to fish Sand Hollow more. Personal preference.
[signature]
I have been fishing Sand Hollow and Quail Creek pretty much daily for the past 2 years. I have never heard anything about decontaminating my boat and I have never found a muscle. The bass fishing has been picking up daily.
[signature]
[quote rjmusser]I have been fishing Sand Hollow and Quail Creek pretty much daily for the past 2 years. I have never heard anything about decontaminating my boat and I have never found a muscle. The bass fishing has been picking up daily.[/quote]
Looking at the sand hollow state park web site I believe you are correct. It says you do not have to decontaminate prior to leaving.
I have never heard of anyone catching wipers this early, but I certainly can't say it's not possible. Earliest I've caught them is mid may.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]According to a report on[/size][/#800000][/font] [url "https://fox13now.com/2018/05/22/invasive-mussels-spreading-in-lake-powell-prompt-boating-precautions/"]Fox 13[/url], [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]dated May 22, 2018, the only Utah water with a known quagga mussel infestation is Lake Powell.
[#000000]
Quote:With the exception of Lake Powell, all of Utah’s waterways have been cleared of the invasive mussels.
[/#000000]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The UDWR website - [url "http://stdofthesea.utah.gov/"]STD of the Sea[/url] (2019 Version) - is still only listing Lake Powell as infected. The UDWR site listing the 'Affected Waters' hasn't been updated since Nov 10, 2010.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]There are no AQUATIC INVASIVE SPECIES CLOSURE ORDERs for Sand Hollow or Quail Creek currently listed on the UDWR website.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]According to the STD of The Sea program, the only time decontamination is REQUIRED is when you go from an infected body of water (in Utah that would only be Lake Powell) to a non-infected water. It is RECOMMENDED if you go from on non-infected water to another non-infected water, but I don't believe it is REQUIRED for those cases.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If you only repeatedly fish one body of water from a watercraft, lets say Sand Hollow, then no decontamination is required or recommended.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]If anybody knows and can point to a source that says any of what I just wrote is incorrect, please, correct me. I'm always interested in knowing if I'm factually wrong about an issue.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I fish both reservoirs regularly, although I havent been for a few months. I launch my boat and have never been required to decon. They will give you a bath if you want one at Sand Hollow State Park. In 2010, there was 1 live quagga mussel found and declared infested. Better to be safe than sorry. In 2014 it was declared mussel free. Unless I've missed some recent news, it is still clean water. The park website states you dont need to decon.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/sand-h...amination/

Bass fishing will definitely be faster at Sand Hollow than Quail. Quail holds trout which you won't find at Sand Hollow. From what I hear, Gunlock has been picking up and thats where I'll be headed first to avoid the crowds. Sand Hollow is generally the most crowded with water sports enthusiasts. It can also get pretty windy.

I would go with your original plan of several places and try them all if you have the time. Be aware that we have had an unusually high amount if moisture so rivers, streams, inlets are running fast and muddy.

I ran into someone the other day that had fished Newcastle. They put in some hours but did land 1 nice wiper. I think typically, as suggested, they will turn on a little more as it warms up.
[signature]
[quote submoa]If sand hollow has the muscle I don't know how quail doesn't. The water runs from sand hollow to quail.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure water doesn’t flow from 1 reservoir to the other. They are almost exactly the same elevation and are on opposite sides of the Virgin River.
[signature]
I'm with you, Bob; I like to be gently corrected on "facts" I am wrong about. I might be embarrassed for a minute [blush] but after that I will get it right.

By the by, all this talk about boats may have been off the mark (though good to know). He asked where to launch a tube if I am correct. And no one ever answered that. Do tubes need to be decontaminated, too?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

You are absolutely right about the boat thing. I think we just wanted go squash the mussel in Sand Hollow thing.

Personally I would follow the recommended dry times for mussels with a tube as they have the potential to attach to anything. I think a decon bath would be a little harsh on a tube. I'm not sure the exact laws, just my 2 cents.
[signature]
As far as where to launch a tube, I would recommend sand hollow by the main boat launch. It is very easy access. There is an area closed to boats (tube is fine) which has some nice structure for bass.
[signature]
[quote catchinon]Do tubes need to be decontaminated, too?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]YES! R657-60 talks specifically about conveyances (Conveyance means a terrestrial or aquatic vehicle, including a vessel, or a vehicle part that may carry or contain a Dreissena mussel) and vessels (Vessel means every type of watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water). That would include tubes.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote Koko21]Personally I would follow the recommended dry times for mussels with a tube as they have the potential to attach to anything. I think a decon bath would be a little harsh on a tube. I'm not sure the exact laws, just my 2 cents.[/quote]

The decon bath is not bad on a tube. I've had mine done a couple of times between Lake Powell and Electric Lake and the pressure is no worse than a car wash.

One thing you do need to do is let some air out before they hit it with the 140 degree water. My tube never looked so good.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote riverdog][quote submoa]If sand hollow has the muscle I don't know how quail doesn't. The water runs from sand hollow to quail.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure water doesn’t flow from 1 reservoir to the other. They are almost exactly the same elevation and are on opposite sides of the Virgin River.[/quote]

Actually -- they are connected by a pipe. Water managers have the ability to move water in either direction between the two reservoirs. It's all part of the Washington County Water Conservancy District. This is exactly why the WCWCD was so concerned back in 2010 about the mussel that was found at Sand Hollow.
[signature]
Also, since that initial scare with mussels in 2010 or whenever it was, no other mussels have been found and no requirements to wash have been made.
[signature]