Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield Today (Tue. 11th)
Parked at the State Park boat ramp. Due to a recent knee replacement, did not travel far. Fished straight out from the boat ramp. Started fishing about a 1/2 hour before sunrise. Tried different depths and different baits with no luck until about 10:45. For about a half hour, couldn't keep the slot cutts off. Did not catch any chubs or rainbows. All cutts released. All the fish caught took 3/8 oz. jig with brown body tipped with chub meat.
[signature]
Thanks for the report mule_skinner45. Catchinon and I may try to get up there this weekend. How thick was the ice?
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Another good report from Scofield and no chubs caught, pretty amazing the improvement in just a few years from almost nothing but chubs being caught to hardly any chubs being caught. Thanks for sharing your reports, I see nothing but positive things happening at this lake in the future.[cool]
[signature]
I have been keeping a fishing log since 1994 and have fished Scofield a lot since I live in Price. During those 22 years I have averaged about 110 hours/year fly fishing from a float tube on Scofield. The last five years I have averaged about 10 hours/year because you couldn't keep the chubs off your fly.

That being said, this last year I have seen a marked improvement in both lower catch rates on the chubs and increased catch rates on the trout. I did fish on May 10th this year on the west side where Upper Fish Creek enters the lake and caught fifteen chubs in an 1 1/2 hours and no trout. I got out and moved over to the WIA area on the west side and caught twenty four cutthroats and six chubs in 2 1/2 hours. This is the worst time of year to fish if your trying to avoid catching chubs.

I ended up the year fishing a total of 18 1/2 hours and catching a total of 102 trout and 21 chubs. Cutthroats were the majority of the catch at 88 and then rainbows at 14. I did not catch any tiger trout. Only one rainbow was over 16" and that was one of the brood stock that was planted, the rest were in the 10" - 14" range.

I did see improvement this year but a large part of that improvement was due to actually having a decent water level in the reservoir after 4 years of very low water.

I look forward to spending some more time next year on one of my favorite fishing holes and look for continued improvement.[Smile]
[signature]
I too am surprised by the variety of the reports regarding chubs or no chubs. I wonder if this has more to do with depth, location, baits, colors, or something else.
[signature]
[quote gofish435]

I have been keeping a fishing log since 1994 and have fished Scofield a lot since I live in Price. During those 22 years I have averaged about 110 hours/year...

I ended up the year fishing a total of 18 1/2 hours...

[/quote]

This is one of my major points. I fished Scofield three times this year and I just about had the entire reservoir to myself. For years, Scofield was the second most popular fishing water in the entire state. What a waste of a tremendous resource it has become.

Yes, now one can catch a large number of trout (because they have heavily planted it with catchable size trout), but almost all of them are so thin they appear to be starving.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote gofish435]

I have been keeping a fishing log since 1994 and have fished Scofield a lot since I live in Price. During those 22 years I have averaged about 110 hours/year...

I ended up the year fishing a total of 18 1/2 hours...

[/quote]

This is one of my major points. I fished Scofield three times this year and I just about had the entire reservoir to myself. For years, Scofield was the second most popular fishing water in the entire state. What a waste of a tremendous resource it has become.

Yes, now one can catch a large number of trout (because they have heavily planted it with catchable size trout), but almost all of them are so thin they appear to be starving.[/quote]

☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎☝︎

The UDWR doesn't care. They have an agenda. They want to be able to prove they can fix it without rotenone. It doesn't matter if it takes 20 years, or if no one bothers to fish there. Joes Valley is a shining example. How long did it sit with few if any fish being planted, and extreme regulations?

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
Maybe they will keep it going until they switch over to the walleye span at Willard.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That might get dubob's motor runnin'. Especially if the start talkin' about the inlet at Willard.
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]That might get dubob's motor runnin'. Especially if the start talkin' about the inlet at Willard.[/quote][Image: crying.gif]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You really don't have a clue, do you? Tight lines to you and I hope you have a great ice season this winter. I'm done with this 'going nowhere' thread as well as the other one on Scofield. [Smile][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."