Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minn Kota
I am wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with getting a Minn Kota repaired.  I searched on line and saw a place in Utah Valley and I think there was another in the SLV valley that are supposed to be certified. Has anyone had good or bad luck with anybody. I'm hoping to avoid the proverbial horror story.

The thing does not respond to the remote at times.  I have to push the speed or turn multiple times to get any response more frequently than not any more.  I changed out the battery in the remote but it did not seem to help.  Seems to be getting progressively worse.
(05-22-2024, 04:39 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I am wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with getting a Minn Kota repaired.  I searched on line and saw a place in Utah Valley and I think there was another in the SLV valley that are supposed to be certified. Has anyone had good or bad luck with anybody. I'm hoping to avoid the proverbial horror story.

The thing does not respond to the remote at times.  I have to push the speed or turn multiple times to get any response more frequently than not any more.  I changed out the battery in the remote but it did not seem to help.  Seems to be getting progressively worse.

It's likely your remote control, for the amount of money it would cost to take your trolling motor in for a look see, you would likely be able to replace your remote control, depending on the model you have. Do you have a foot control for your Minn Kota? If you do, just plug it in the next time this happens and see if the problem continues. That should tell you if it's your remote control or the motor itself.
(05-22-2024, 04:39 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I am wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with getting a Minn Kota repaired.  I searched on line and saw a place in Utah Valley and I think there was another in the SLV valley that are supposed to be certified. Has anyone had good or bad luck with anybody. I'm hoping to avoid the proverbial horror story.

Back Water Sports, Orem.  You might also check with Rodgers Performance Marine.

rj
I had similar issues and tried both the remote and foot pedal. Mine got progressively worse as well and in the end it would shut down completely when I would try to increase the speed. I took mine to Back Water Sports and just got it back yesterday afternoon. I haven't even had the chance to hook it back up yet and try it out. They basically had to replace the main circuit board as it was bad. I'll try to get it hooked up tonight and see if what they did fixed the problem. They gave me a 6 month warranty on the work. I'll report back.
(05-22-2024, 08:35 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I had similar issues and tried both the remote and foot pedal. Mine got progressively worse as well and in the end it would shut down completely when I would try to increase the speed. I took mine to Back Water Sports and just got it back yesterday afternoon. I haven't even had the chance to hook it back up yet and try it out. They basically had to replace the main circuit board as it was bad. I'll try to get it hooked up tonight and see if what they did fixed the problem. They gave me a 6 month warranty on the work. I'll report back.

That would be great if they got it fixed for you.  Please let us know if it works.
I have used Backwater Performance systems in Orem a couple of times No issues

I think the guys name is Carlos
If its a Terrova with the legacy remote, it is likely the remote.  They are notorious for failing.  I probably went through five of them over the years before I replaced the motor.
Good experience with  Backwater, Orem.  Reasonable to me, but everything is spendy.    Excellent through.
(05-22-2024, 06:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It's likely your remote control, for the amount of money it would cost to take your trolling motor in for a look see, you would likely be able to replace your remote control, depending on the model you have. Do you have a foot control for your Minn Kota? If you do, just plug it in the next time this happens and see if the problem continues. That should tell you if it's your remote control or the motor itself.

We picked this up used about 6 years ago and the foot control didn't work when we got it.  It's been pretty good till last year.
(05-26-2024, 03:09 AM)PACMEN Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 06:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

We picked this up used about 6 years ago and the foot control didn't work when we got it.  It's been pretty good till last year.
If you are interested, we could meet at a local lake and you could borrow my foot control to see if it works for you? Just an option, so you could nail down the problem you are having, unless you have already decided to take it into the shop.