Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here, does anyone fish to collect/monitor species?
I used to have a tank of indigenous fish, just from local lakes, etc. Vermont has a new law banning bait fish so I don't know how to go about collecting anymore.

Any ideas?

Mike
[signature]
My goodness what a handle. One could come up with all kinds of meaning on "oneinchsidehop". Anywho welcome to the BFT. Hope that you will hang around and share some of your stories and pictures with us. BTW you might have to resort to fly fishing with all these new environmental laws the states seem to passing. Nothing wrong with fly swatting. It is a lot of fun.

[signature]
Wlcome aboard! Although I can't be much help there, I have wanted to do that in the past but couldn't find anywhere to get started. What kind of fish do you have?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[quote theangler]Wlcome aboard! Although I can't be much help there, I have wanted to do that in the past but couldn't find anywhere to get started. What kind of fish do you have?[/quote]

Right now they're all from overseas. (Labidiochromis Carrulus and Melanotaenia trifasciata)
[inline fishtank.JPG]

What I want is a tank of small lake VT lakefish. Sunfish, Perch, Pike/Pickerel, even little suckers look good in a tank. Unfortunately we now have Zebra mussells in Lake Champlain, but they look great in a tank too. (Just don't want them in the plumbing at my [font "Arial"][#000000][size 3]house)[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
My goodness what a handle. One could come up with all kinds of meaning on "oneinchsidehop". Anywho welcome to the BFT. Hope that you will hang around and share some of your stories and pictures with us. BTW you might have to resort to fly fishing with all these new environmental laws the states seem to passing. Nothing wrong with fly swatting. It is a lot of fun.

One inch side hops are the way track bicycle racers keep their center of balance while waiting (at the line, not rolling, with their feet bolted to the pedals) for the starting gun. Trials bike riders use it a lot too, I used to do some of both. (It's kinda like barrel rolling to move your line back upstream a bit)

I love fly fishing the Clyde and Danville rivers up here, BTW. in the spring the fishings pretty darn good in VT.
[signature]
Hi there oish thanks for the clarification of your handle. Never too old to learn something new. Glad to hear that you like swatting too. Stop by the Fly Fishing forum & say hi.
[signature]
WElcome to the site. VT does have some great fishing in the spring and I make it up twice a year. If your trying to feed local fish you may have in a tank, you can always buy bait at the tackle store.
[signature]
better have a good look at your local laws in your area, some states dont allow the possesion or transportation of live game fish.

most all states have summer jobs available for catching and monitering different fish species in different areas, you may want to look if that could be a posibility for you...

contact your local state government for available summer jobs in the dnr or fish and wild life divisions
[signature]
Wht kind of bait fish r being banned? if theyre like shad, try to find where the crappie r cause shad tend to follow crappie. Id use a bait net and at random times at specific spots to catch em, note to where ur getting them at, what time, timeof year,.etc. If they r a type of minnow, id set live minnow traps near fallen trees,stumps in channels, and in lilly pads. thats just my opinion so hopefully i helped you out towards your problem. p.s. baitfish tend to not go out in deeper water like 5ft cause of fenicky perch and walleye.
[signature]