Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Kokanee question
I was just wondering, could you ice fish kokanee salmon? I have always wanted to catch one and i hear that in the summer to fish for those you have to use down riggers and fish way deep. but could you fish way deep ice fishing and have a chance to catch a kokanee? Has anyone caught any kokanee' salmon in the summer or winter? i've never tried fishing way deep at the berry. and would the deepest point be soldier creek dam? or is there deeper spots out far from the marina in the middle of the lake?[fishin]
[signature]
the only reason they are deep in the summer is because the water is cooler down there. Now that its all the same, they willl be where there is the most plankton, right under the ice. Every kokanee i have ever heard of through the ice is within 10 feet of the ice, sometimes close enough you could probably just grab them if your quick.
[signature]
I asked the same question last year. I love to ice fish for kokanee. There was a report of someone catching one in strawberry last year and someone who said they have been fishing strawberry for a long time said that that was only the second Kokanee they had ever heard of being caught ice fishing. The point is, no one seems to do it.

With that said, I would like to try some day. If you were to fish for them, I would start by fishing over deep water. It is true that they are often just below the hole, but I have never caught them in water that was not at least 50 feet deep. Then again, strawberry could be a totally different monster than anything I have fished.
[signature]
I remember when ice fishing first became possible and popular here in Utah (early 80's), they caught a lot of Kokes at the Strawberry marina at first ice in 3' of water but I have not heard of it since. Once in a while someone gets lucky and catches one through the ice but that is very rare. There are other lakes that they can be caught in the winter regularly but not the Berry.
[signature]