Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the most remote lakes in the Uintas you have fished?
As a warm up to Uinta fishing, I am asking what are the most remote lakes in the Uintas you have fished, name 3 if possible. Remote can mean anything you want it to mean, just your own citeria on that.

I will list my starter 3 as an example.

Thompson Lake on Rock Creek Drainage south of Rocky Sea Pass, good fishing, healthy fish, lots.

LF-43 on Lake Fork below Crater Lake, absolutly picturesque, small poplulation of trout.

Carol Lake east of Round Lake on the Weber , Dry fork drainage.
[signature]
pyramid lake and little elk and big elk lake, you gotta have a truck to get up there over the 3 foot boulders but the brookies are amazing up there.
[signature]
Like you, the most remote lake that I have fished in the Uintas is Thompson Lake. Holly cow, fishing was fast and furious for nice sized brook trout. Only fished there for a day a long time ago but would love to go back. Man, you got me thinking about it again. Caught some fat ones out of there. Very remote, however. Ten mile hike into four lakes basin, then a death march over rocky sea pass and then it seemed like an eternity of boulder hoping and big spiders before we actually made it to that little lake.
[signature]
Albert Lake, Uinta drainage, but best accessed via Bollie Lake in the Dry Gulch drainage. Imagine Thompson horizontal rock hopping, now turn that into vertical rock hopping. Gorgeous cutthroat in the 12" range.

Thompson Lake (already discussed) There is a small patch of grass for a couple of tents on the N.E. side of the lake amongst all those rocks. Fat brook trout to 15"

Scow Lake, Bear river drainage. Remote doesnt necessarily mean alot of hiking miles. I hike it from the Christmas meadows side. Steep but short. Depending on the year(s), I've caught fat brook to 18", but there are alot of years in between that winter kill.

I could go on, but I'll keep it at 3 [Smile]
[signature]
Hoover/Marshall, Granddaddy, and one we called Lake Lovenia. Sadly I have not spent a lot of time backpacking in that great wilderness, but I have done some in my youth.
[signature]
Try Abes Lake, Docs Lake and North Star (actually the ponds just north of North Star are even more remote, but just have numbers to identify them on the map.
[signature]
I have also fished Thompson. Alone, caught some really red bellied brookies. Hmmmm? Red lake over in sheep creek drainage. Anchor lake on the weber I think. Lots of little eel like starving brookies.
[signature]
Heard a bit about Thompson, always wanted to hit it. I admire you guys that made it there but for 15" brookies? I guess it's more about the remote experience for that one.
[signature]
X 105 in the Yellowstone drainage. Only had a few fish in it. It was a ways back there.
[signature]
Its been a long time for me but the only one i can remember is cliff lake it was a good hike to it. We caught nice brookies on jakes spin A lures. Their was a nice spring we drank out of under a bunch of boulders you could just reach. . Wild strawberries we ate. Then at night a Squatch or something of that same size crashed right threw camp as we were sleeping in our tents i think it was after the left over ramen noodles.great experience at 15.
[signature]
Oh so many, but here are a few:
Divide lake (on the trail between Fox Lake and Island Lake)
Garfield Basin lakes
Crow canyon lakes
Pine Island and surrounding lakes

I need to hit more before I get too old to pack gear in.
[signature]
Been to Abes a few times, lots of 10-12" cutts. Fished Docs once, found it fishless. Fished hell hole once, small Brooks and cutts. When I fished Thompson, I also saw the huge spiders in the boulder field between cyclone pass and the lake. As I would approach their web, they would shake the web to warn the oncomer not to ruin the web. ( huge webs ).
[signature]
I hiked back into marjorie for decent utah grayling. I fished pyramid with my dad when I was younger. Cliff lake. Not sure of the name but one of the lakes past echo. Alaxander lake, with 4 wheel drive. and countless others I just can't remember their names. That was the area we would go camping and fishing growing up. Thats where I learned to love backpacking float tubes in. A lot of great memories with my dad and three brothers.
[signature]
I'm thinking the Cliff Lake on the Henry's Fork. I would like to go there again. I remember a very rock silted lake, producing a azure color. The Brookies were healthy. Same one?

I am impressed with the responses. There are a lot of us crazies.

There is a mile of boulder hoping to get to Thompson, at least. And a least a day to get to Four Lakes Basin.
[signature]
I had to look up U-94, that is remote, you may be crazier than average.
[signature]
[quote Millcreekbrown]When I fished Thompson, I also saw the huge spiders in the boulder field between cyclone pass and the lake. As I would approach their web, they would shake the web to warn the oncomer not to ruin the web. ( huge webs ).[/quote]

Note to self: Don't EVER hike into Thompson Lake!!!
[signature]
Pyramid, yes a great little lake for brookies, also a couple above pyramid, one we call lost lake, don't know the real name, good fishing there, but has been years. Tamarack, and Dagget on the other side. Chris lake in the Boulders comes to mind, great fishing there, but again it has been years, need to hit them again.
[signature]
I've been to Albert (U94) four times. Each time its been a "once in a lifetime" experience. [Wink]
[signature]
Been up to island lake, on the long lake trail head.
Long lake, big and little elk lakes and all the streams in between.
[signature]