Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats in the green river?
I need a little help finding some fishing spots around Green River. Been over the satellite maps N. and S. from I70. Looks like there's access N. just wondering if that's a good choice for a couple of days worth of cattin. Hate to waste the time and resources if its not. Any info would help. Thanks Guys [fishin]
[signature]
Contact the green river state park, they should have some decent suggestions.
[signature]
There is an old pump house a couple miles upstream from town (green river) There is a very large hole where they take the water from the river with big eddies, It's generally stacked with catfish. Ask the locals for directions , it's pretty easy to find. Or hit any of the sloughs that come off the main river (there are several) For access there are roads along the river up and down stream from town. You will also catch some carp and suckers in these areas. Lots of small cats, with occasional big ones.
[signature]
Yeah, but you fail to interject that they're a bunch of itty bitty kitties, since they're coming from down South after all!

tee heee

Still looking for some of those spring stack up spots myself. Heard tails. Found some carp lambada pools, and know a few "inlet" ponds where the cats like to stage, and then frolic. If it'd just WARM up enough!

Sound grand. Show me something over 3ft, and I'll be impressed!!!
Coyote..... now you're gettin' me all riled up again with your "itty bitty kitties" from down South comment. We, the South, will show you a couple of over 3fters by the end of the contest. Just waitin' for the weather to warm up a couple of degrees and then you will be swamped with pics from the South. For now I will show you one that will have to satisfy until the warm-up. I refer you to the 2013 Utah Fishing Guidebook, page 53, top of the page under the Channel Catfish heading: "Angling record: 1978, 32 lbs. 8 0z.; L: 39 3/4 in.; G:22 in.; LeRoy Mortenson; Utah Lake." Note that "Utah Lake" is in the SOUTH. Nuf said! [sly]

Come on warmer weather!!
[signature]
Hmmm, 1978 - I remember those years. I was still in highschool teaching young ladies how to drive a stick behind the Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)

Lets talk present day, and [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=812421;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]SHOW ME THE KITTIES![/url]

This beast is still out there, and her big brother too! Working up plans for an overnighter that I an only hope will reveal a tanker or two! And yeah- it'll be a northern cat my friend!

Bring it on!!!
Sorry but Utah lake is NOT in the south...
[signature]
Somehow I knew you would bring up that Setthehook monster. My only retort is a tip of my greasy, carp-stained hat to a really nice cat. Still, the record remains with Utah Lake until broken. Stepping out of the back-and-forth banter for a bit I would not be surprised to see another record cat come from the Cutler/Bear area. Gotta admit you have been producing some dandies up there but still.... the South will prevail.

Bassrods-- Utah Lake is in the "south" portion of the 2nd Annual Catfish Contest.

Let's go get 'em!
[signature]
Teehee, but of course!

I think there's more big cats caught than are actually reported. In fact it was Setthehook that took the time to snap the photos and measures. His bud that actually landed the beast probably wouldn't have bothered.

This is a scale I found last year that I'll be using to weight my cats (entries by the inch). I can only hope it'll be big enough.

[inline 100_1796-400.jpg]

Bassrods - not sure where you're coming from. Granted Powell is FARTHER south, but pretty sure general concensus is Utah Lake is in the southern half of the state. Granted - our whole state is not "south" in the way - say Alabama or Texas is . . . it's all relative.

BUT according the "map" for the catfish contest, and where I drew "the line" it's definitely on the south side.
But - if you look - the line isn't exactly in the middle of the state, plus the bottom half goes twice as far east.

Alas - even with that hefty advantage, the North brought in the most- and biggest cats of all. Just doesn't seem fair does it?

[inline UtahCatfishMap.JPG]
I don't know. That 50 oz. scale may be a bit more than you need after looking at your first entry in the contest. [Wink]
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[#000000][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I know it is farther up north but if you ever get up to the Flaming Gorge area, I tell you what there are some great catfish in there. You can fish in the area that the Green River hits the Gorge. I have caught good catfish as far down as Linwood Bay farther in at the Utah/Wyoming State line. Also, have caught one small cat near the dam area. There are catfish in there. [fishin][/size][/font][/#000000]
[signature]