Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing / camping places?
hey guys - I love reading this forum and have learned a lot about fishing - so thanks in advance.
i am looking at trying to get away after finals next week for a couple days - hoping to find somewhere that is open, I am trying to look online and I can't tell, it seems some campgrounds aren't open yet or just opening this weekend, but I d like to just do drive in camping next to a lake with decent fishing to catch some dinner and enjoy a day or two outside of here. I am in provo and would like to stay with-in an hour or maybe hour and a half. Do you guys have any recommendations that you know would be open? I was looking at high-uintas but not sure whats open out there yet. I do have a truck and 4wd if needed. Thanks guys!
[signature]
Uintas are still snowed in, try a state park a little south of you. Try Yuba or one of the others like otter creek or similar. I did read today that schofield campgrounds are open. Just a thought. If you want warmer try Huntington state park just outside of price.
[signature]
I would think the State Parks at Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Starvation or Scofield would be good options.

I doubt the road up to Mirror Lake is even open. You might get to Soapstone Basin (??).
[signature]
I am trying to think of a lake you can camp next to. Seems that the camp sites are a bit of a walk to the water. But the suggestions are great. Scofield might be your best choice as I think there are spots you can camp next to the lake.
[signature]
Otter Creek & Minersville would both be good. Both have campsite very close to the water. Minersville has special regulations (artificial only, plus slot limit)....so just be aware of that. [Smile] & Have fun!
[signature]
thanks for the help! i was wondering if the uintas was even open... i d like to start backpacking through there this summer- but scofield looks good! camping is pretty much on the waters edge - and its all firs come first serve - i ll call before heading down but hopefully that works out for us.

never fished there before - any tips specific for scofield shoreline fishing? i generally go through the works seeing what works, but the others tend to get bored if nothin is biting... thanks again!
[signature]
This is what the state is recommending on their fishing report.

"SCOFIELD RESERVOIR: (April 17) The ice has receded from the shoreline by as much as 40 yards in some spots. Fishing conditions are excellent. For the best action, cast chub meat onto the ice pack and reel into the water. Fish appear to be more interested in moving bait. If you don't have chub or sucker meat, try nightcrawlers or salmon eggs. Egg sacs are good as long as an angler remembers that any female trout that is stripped of eggs must be kept as part of the bag limit. PowerBait will work well with rainbows. Chartreuse or rainbow colors are the best. Scent-impregnated soft plastic baits are another option worth trying. State Park Manager Jonathan Hunt says the ice pack will remain for a week or two. All state park gates are open to allow access to the campgrounds and boat ramps."
[signature]
thanks very much albinotrout - guys like you and many others make this forum extremely helpful. i look forward to reporting how it goes! now just gotta make it through finals....
[signature]
You are very welcome and I look forward to reading your report.
[signature]
A place close by is Burriston Ponds (between Nephi and Mona). It is planted with small planters, but the camping is right next to the water.
[signature]
I camped at Burraston Ponds this past weekend. You can camp right next to the water in most places. And, the fishing was decent when the wind wasn't blowing. I caught a bunch of rainbow trout and one chunky carp. If you end up at Burrastons, fish a worm off the bottom. It worked really well for me.
[signature]
Does anyone know about American fork canyon? If either tibble fork reservoir or silver lake are accessible? It looks like camp grounds open may 10. Can you camp outside of a camp ground there?
[signature]
NO trust me find a camp ground we camped in what we thought was a campground later to wake up to a DWR officer telling us to pack up or be cited.
[signature]
There are signs posted in AFC stating that you must obtain a permit from the Forest Service office in order to camp anyhere in the Canyon.
[signature]