Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotted Bass ?
Is there any waters in Utah that have Spotted Bass in them.

If not,, is there any waters that might be enhanced by their presents?

I,ve fished a lot of places that have LMB, Smallmouth, and Spots. Each fish has it's own little niche. Do you think there is a place for them in any Utah waters?
[signature]
I think they would do quite well, the habitat here is better suited to Smallmouth and Spotted bass. Given all the regulations federal state etc.. it won't happen, and probably wouldn't even be considered unfortunately.

IMO
[signature]
I would love to have spots around too, but I think you're right about it never happening.
[signature]
In the past, I used to be more obsessed with bass genetics lol. According to "Mclane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia," the author states that a largemouth bass in addition to having different lateral line scale counts, should have no scales in in the tail fin membrane or the soft dorsal or anal fins. On the other hand, the spotted bass has definite scales in both tail fin and soft dorsal and anal fin membranes as well as teeth on the Tongue. In my in depth empirical analyses to satiate my own curiosity, I have found that most bass in utah may have some hybridization with spotted bass genetics. The majority of bass in utah lake have scales in both tail membrane and soft dorsal and anal fins. However the color pattern is indicative of a pure lmb. Further, the mouth jawbone goes well beyond the eye which is a definite indicator of a pure lmb. Mantua lmb seem to be genetically different than other populations due to morphological differences as well as spawning temp differences. They do not seem to have spotted bass genetics. In the small ponds all over, the genetics are very similar to each other so someone must have, like a century or more ago, spread bass to every conceivable pond in utah they could get to. The ones up at Newton also don't have spotted bass characteristics but are genetically/morphologically dissimilar to those at Mantua. The biggest jaw genes are found at Utah Lake. Deer creek lmb have tiny mouths in comparison but no scaling on tail or soft dorsal interradial membranes. There used to be a huge population of bass at the Hilton pond at the airport area that looked like spotted bass but the jaw went past the eye in most specimens I did find hyoid teeth on the Tongue on a fish from there. Plus the flanks were spotted in lines. Pure lmb have irregularly places black spots below the lateral line dark stripe. These bass are gone due to draining and rebuilding of the pond so no more there to look at.
[signature]
I'm a newbie and want to learn ---- are these LMB or Spots? I caught them at Eagle Valley in Pioche,Nv. last fall.Some have smaller jawbones and I'm not sure on the scale patterns below the lateral line. They seemed to be schooled up.I've read that spots run smaller and like deeper water.
Any info is appreciated!
[signature]
Those all look like largemouth to me. Nice chunks too.
[signature]
Spotted Bass are indigenous to rivers and streams of the south east. They prefer moving water, although they are very adaptive and do well in impoundments. Another limiting factor is temrature, they do not like super cold and freezing temps. They prefer a forage base that consists mainly of forage like shad, smelt, etc. They would not do well in any of our waters due to a lack of forage.

California has stocked Spots in several waters which could be classified as flowages instead of impoundments. Cutler is the closest thing that we have to a flowage around here.

Spots are not a good choice for our waters !!!
I think they might do okay in Powell. There are several reservoirs in the southern half of Colorado that have them and they seem to do okay.
[signature]
I don't really care to get into an argument but I have caught bass in Utah that I swear are spots. Granted, I'm a fisherman and not a biologist. This certain water had bass imported from Kentucky when it was first planted...after doing research after the catches. The bass had the smaller jaw. They had no separation on their dorsal fin. They had a rough patch on their Tongue.
I didn't count scales, just went with what was in front of me.
[signature]
Dorsal fins are not separate on those bass but then again I have not found an lmb in Utah with completely separated spiny and soft dorsal. Some texts say that an lmb has a deep notch while Mclane posits that the dorsals are completely separated. Who knows which theory is more accurate but the first two pics look like some type of hybridization since that notch between the soft dorsal and spiny dorsal is not very deep although color pattern is largemouth like. The third pic has a clear largemouth color pattern for sure, scattered black spots below lateral line. The jaw is not huge but it seems an lmb most likely.
[signature]
I don't doubt that you did catch a spot, I'm sure I did too. However most people are not aware of species details and nuances LOL. There are many people who keep telling me they got a smallmouth......lmfao......when it's an lmb in their hands. Also that the finless brookie brood stock in community ponds are "splake." Don't blame you for not wanting to say anything lol.
[signature]
I would rather see Utah import the larger Florida strain LMB.. those would really do well in Lake Powell and other waters they are the reason why California Delta constantly kicks out 10 lbers. Can you imagine utah lake with all that forage to have Florida strain LMB....
[signature]
Now that I would have to agree to. Damn if florida genes hybridized with bass in Utah lake.....holy...... lol. They would survive winter temps just fine in those warm springs lol. Some other places would definitely see supergiant pigs too if that were the case. Sadly it will never happen.
[signature]