Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of fish is this???
Any clue what kind of fishing is it because it doesn't look like a blue gill to me especially with the color it is and on the gill plate with that orange vibe.
[inline "willow pond ect 09 17 13 006.JPG"]
[inline "willow pond ect 09 17 13 007.JPG"]
[inline "willow pond ect 09 17 13 008.JPG"]
[inline "willow pond ect 09 17 13 009.JPG"]

[signature]
Possibly a redear sunfish? If you google it, a few come up looking pretty similar. Just a guess tho.
[signature]
Look like it is to me but let's see what other people say before I confirm it. Just happy to get another fish off my bucket list XD
[signature]
Dude that is a redear sunfish or if you ask my grandpa, a chinquapin or shell cracker. Did you catch this in utah??
[signature]
Yes yes I did. Hurry one less fish on the bucket list Smile.
[signature]
I didn't think we had any redears in Utah. Good to know though.
[signature]
Pumpkin seed?

I have caught a few of them in Utah and they do have the Red Ear mark.

Somebody light up the version of the "batman light" for Tube Dude!
[signature]
I agree. It looks like some sort of Sunfish. Where did you catch it?
[signature]
The fish in question is a red-ear sunfish. I assume that it was caught in Willow Pond in Murray??? They were illegally introduced there a couple years ago. We do have pumpkinseed sunfish in Sunset Pond in Draper and I have attached a photo of a pumpkinseed for folks so everyone can see the difference.

I would appreciate a confirmation on the water please.

Thanks,
Drew Cushing
[signature]
Looks to me like a juvenile Pumpkinseed Sunfish. I have caught some giant ones in Salem Pond. They look just like this one but bigger.
[signature]
Naw it is definitely a redear. I've caught plenty of them in all sizes in Texas as well as pumpkinseeds. I wish they could be *legally* introduced somewhere. Redear sunfish are also known as shellcrackers since one of their favorite snacks is snail. I wonder how well they would feast on quagga mussels...
[signature]
I agree with it being a redear, I have caught pumpkin seed sunfish before and they don'thave banding like the pictures you have shown. Here is one that I caught out of sunset
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Redear sunfish are also known as shellcrackers since one of their favorite snacks is snail. I wonder how well they would feast on quagga mussels...[/quote]

They might help -- but they haven't really done much for Lake Mead or Havasu. Sure, they might prey on quagga, but they're not going to control quagga.
[signature]
yeah im thinking willow pond.
I saw some kids catching some there this summer.
they are cool looking fish too
[signature]
I never said they would control quagga mussels. I also realize that introducing another species can not be taken lightly. I was just thinking out loud. Remember that massive redear that came out of Havasu that was over 4 pounds? Granted our conditions here in Utah are not like they are there. I'm just a sucker for big sunfish but not at the expense of introducing yet another species with the tendency to overpopulate and stunt. Someone told me that fishing for bluegill was for kids...guess I never grew up.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote wagdog]. Someone told me that fishing for bluegill was for kids...guess I never grew up.[Wink][/quote]

I don't think a lot of us have[cool].
[signature]
might be a new hybrid! Tiger musky cross with a crappie
[signature]
Definitely a shell cracker. We would catch shell crackers in the 3 lb range in KY...one of the best fighting fish out there! WTG!
[signature]
Two fish I would like to catch are pumpkinseeds and redears. Nice catch.
[signature]
[quote wagdog]Dude that is a redear sunfish or if you ask my grandpa, a chinquapin or shell cracker. Did you catch this in utah??[/quote]

Right on. I grew up in Utah, but live in Virginia now. No question that this is a redear. Here in Virginia we call them shellcrackers. Very common here.
[signature]