Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake ice changing rapidly. Tuesday 1/28
Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

What a difference 24 hrs can make! The wind we experienced in the valley on Monday has now completely taken the ice off at Cisco Beach and made a lot of other areas on the lake unstable. As of this morning, the only ice we saw anglers fishing on was south of the Pump House area on the east side. The rest of the ice looked very thin and many parts were shelved up. Ice conditions can continue to change if any wind develops. The Bonneville cisco run has peaked and it is winding down quickly. There were only a few small schools of cisco sighted at Cisco Beach and it was open water. Just to the south of Cisco Beach there was still a lot of ice and anglers were dip netting cisco through the ice. At the marina, cisco were present in good numbers, but the fish were quite spooky and it was more difficult to dip net limits of fish.
[signature]
Scott, appreciate your frequent updates. Hope to fish it Saturday but it doesn't look too hopeful.
[signature]
This afternoon around 2:00ish, I noticed 1 person fishing just north of the rest area on the west side and with binoculars I could see a few people out near the pump house. I cannot imagine the ice is very safe right now, there was alot of open water when I seen it this afternoon. If you are planning on coming to fish USE EXTREME CAUTION!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Yep. Changing fast. I wouldn't go back out on it. I fished off the pump house until I couldn't stand the noise and shifting ice any more and then got off. That ice was 5 inches thick, but it was moving! Plus there were areas of open water and big cracks and gaps, so if the ice does stick around through the storm and there is snow on it, be extremely careful because you might go from 5 inches to nothing in a step.

That was me on the west side north of the rest stop. The ice was 5 inches thick there too, but I had to find a place across the big broken up gap that was 20 yards out from the bank. I think I need a valium. Not my brightest day.

At the pumphouse, one of these guys was wearing a life jacket:

[inline lifejacket.jpg]

I did get this one cutthroat in 50 feet of water off the pumphouse.

[inline lonefish.jpg]

Getting off, I had to cross back over this nasty gap. Yeah - I can't recommend trying to get on the ice at the pump house. Hope everyone else got off OK.

[inline goodluck.jpg]

Drove up to second point to have a look. These guys were walking on water between first and second point.

[inline walkonwater.jpg]

This is what the bank looked like at second point. The ice there was just a broken and piled up mess.

[inline secondpoint.jpg]
[signature]
Did you realese it after laying it on the ice?
[signature]
Yeah - still swimming. Nice fish.
[signature]
I think ice fishing is done on Bear Lake
[signature]
bearlaker7 thats great news. im tickled pink to hear the ice is coming off. im doing a happy dance. [cool]
[signature]
No way Mark! I'm hoping this storm dumps some snow and reinforces the ice a bit. We had a great time last year on the ice and I've fished it twice so far this year (scary ice), but the fishing was good. Don't you like to ice fish? Beats hauling the boat out in this crap-weather. Last time it cost me a transducer mount due to the ice. Glad it was only a $20 mount and not the $155 transducer!
[signature]
No Scott, I Love to Ice fish.

PM sent
[signature]
It's raining on it now don't think that's going to help the situation.
[signature]
picturing Mark doing a happy dance this early in the morning is not the way to start the day off[crazy]
[signature]
LOL, Rob, We have been around each other plenty at the time of the morning and both know that were just doing good to be moving let alone dancing. But give us both a few hours and were as good once as we ever was.
[signature]
exactly. We do pretty good for a couple of old farts
[signature]