Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishin' with dad or grandpa?
[#484848]Good Post ...... I went to the Wasatch show the other day and they were touting Tenkara fishing.[/#484848]
[#484848]Little do they know we didn't use reels and rods with guides when my dad and I went fishing....... We went to the hardware store and bought a long straight bamboo pole for 25 to 50 cents, and tied the line on the end of it, and learned to cast it out in the river channel.[/#484848]
[#484848]We spent many hours on the Bear River getting the channel cats.[/#484848]
[#484848]Good memories .......... Old timeTenkara Fishing at its finest.[/#484848]
[#484848]Now my boy is interested in Tenkara fishing and teaching his sons. What goes around comes around.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[signature]
Pop started me at an early age.He used to take me up Chalk Creek above Fillmore.The stream split up the canyon aways,and only one had a road.He would put me on his shoulders,and hike up the fork without the road and that is where I caught my first wild trout.He has been gone for a while,but Im thankful for all he taught me,not only about fishing,but the ability to work hard,play hard,be honest with all those I know and meet.I miss him everyday.
[signature]
My dad's dad loved to fish and i loved going with grandpa. Strawberry in an old aluminum 12 foot boat was better than anything a kid could imagine. Didnt get to fish with my Mom's dad as well lost him when i was 6 but he's still one of my heros and the reason i love cattle and ranching. My dad and i have spent plenty of days on the ice at scofield or fishlake. He cant go anywhere without running into somebody he worked with mining or ranching. I took him and my kids to Vernon this winter and i never caught a fish. But dad and my kids all did. One of the best afternoons i can remember. I hope i get to fish with dad a bunch more times but ya never know. I do know that i make time and just go cause work and life can wait. Sitting on the bank visiting with Pop can't. What amazes me is how much i have learned about life being with Dad and Mom fishing or hunting. They both have multiple trophy bucks and bulls on the wall. But the best thing they ever did was take us kids along and teach us about the outdoors. From my work ethic to my outdoor skills, from throwing a rope to pulling a calf, my parents get all the credit for anything i accomplish. I love them and my grandparents dearly and feel honored to walk the trails they have blazed. I have really enjoyed this thread and the pictures and stories. We have more in common than a guy might guess.[Smile]
[signature]
My dad may not have been a great fisherman, but he got us all a chance to try as kids. Including some deep sea fishing in Florida. I learned in later years how much fishing he had done with buddies that I wasn't aware. Even tied his own flies - he's passed it all on to me, as he retired, and retired from fishing he says.

My most rewarding experience was when he came to a family camp "after camp" week in Michigan, and I got to take him out in a row boat and show him how we'd caught bass and gills all summer. He exclaimed how nice it was to have me in charge, while HE got to do all the fishing. And he didn't have to bait any hook but his own.

I have a great shot of use on the Fl beach after surf fishing, but can't find it right now. But here he is with one of his buddies and a nice catch of the day. He's on the left - this was BTB - before the beard.

[inline Barry_P-Salmon.jpg]

And two of his kids with their Florida score he hooked us up with (a charter)
[inline "L J Florida.jpg"]
My earliest memories of fishing were with my mom and my grandfather.
[signature]