Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers Biting 3/30
My wife Jeanne and I caught 12 nice wipers in 2 1/2 hours out near the light pole today. Fished out about 1/2 mile Southeast from the light pole. Did the best on Smithwick Rattlin Rogue's. Clown and black/silver. Trolled 3 mph. Had lures running 9 - 13 feet deep in 15 - 17 feet of water. Water temperature 50 - 52 degrees. Seeing good numbers of fish on fish finder.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Tom,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]That's a good report to see.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]What time of the day were you catching them?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Did you bring in any walleye?[/size][/font]
[signature]
yes it is good news.

What size where they Tom?

Tight Lines.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Now that's a report I've been waiting to see. Ditto on the questions from the previous replies. By the way, if anyone happens to see a Blue/Gray 18' ProCraft tooling around out on Willard tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll be me and my old man, say Howdy if you feel like it. BassHawg
[signature]
We caught our fish from 11 AM - 1:30 PM. No walleyes yet. Within next two weeks we should start getting some out in the open water. Wipers were 3 - 5 pounds. No real small fish.
[signature]
Great report Tom! Sounds like we should done Willard instead of Deer Creek. Water temp was only 40-43. No walleye, perch, or smallies. Did see three descent smallies caught on cranks but no luck in our boat. Caught four rainbows though. Great day to be on any pond anyways.

You was using planer boards weren't you Tom?
[signature]
We did use planer boards. We never ran any lines behind the boat.
[signature]
Great news. Thanks for the report Tom. What is the estimate on fill percentage at Willard this year? Do you think it will get full? Thanks.
[signature]
Real good news TomP. When do you think they will bea little closer to shore?I caught a few last year that away.
[signature]
I wish we had that kind of luck. Went to Willard with the chef,fished from 10:00-4:30 we each had one fish on but lost them both. Both bites where out by the pole. One hit came on a blue& white prism shad and the other on a black&silver rattlin rapala.
[signature]
Thanks for the great report Tom, I think it is the best catching report on Willard this year. Can't wait for the walleye bite to turn on. WH2
[signature]
You forgot to mention what we did catch at Willard Sunday;

A REAL NASTY SUNBURN!

Had a great time out on the water, fish or no fish, Thanks for the invite and great time on the water MGB.

The hunt for my first wiper is long from over.
[signature]
I haven't heard whether it will fill or not. Statewide Utah's reservoirs are lower now than they were a year ago. I was surprised yesterday that it hadn't filled more than it has. It seems like the island by the North Marina is sticking out about as much as it was 2 -3 weeks ago. I thought for sure it would be covered up by now. We would have really been hurting at Willard last summer and fall if they hadn't dumped a bunch of water from Pineview into Willard. I hope we get lots of moisture yet this spring and summer.
[signature]
I'm sure that somewhere they are coming in along shore. In the past in the spring we have caught wipers with crayfish in their stomachs. Usually if they are dumping water into Willard the wipers are attracted to the inflow and there are usually some near the mouth of the South Marina. If they don't move in before, they will certainly follow the shad into shore when they begin to spawn in mid- to - late May. When the water temperature hits about 70 degrees. One guy I know usually starts catching good numbers of wipers near shore about mid-April.

Keep after them! Good luck.
[signature]
[font "WST_Engl"]Thanks for the tip. Maybe we'll see you out there some time.[/font]

[font "WST_Engl"][/font]

[font "WST_Engl"][/font]

[font "WST_Engl"][#0000ff]Keepin' the line tight and pole bent![/#0000ff][/font]
[signature]
Interesting name Wiperswiper, always good to have another wiper fisherman on the site. Do you fish Willard much? WH2
[signature]