Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Ice Fishing Tournament Results
A lottery?? That's what is at most other derbies I've fished have done in terms of the huge raffle at the end and them only paying three spots. These guys actually rewarded those that caught fish under the toughest conditions possible. This was still fishing- you had to adjust and adapt to put a hook into a fish. In my opinion, this format tested your skill and knowledge even more than a normal derby. It wasn't coincidence that three groups caught 10 of the 27 fish and they had many repeat winners from previous tournaments.

As far as them moving, they had to. Rabbit gulch could only fit about 20 cars on Friday. People would have been really pissed parking on the highway to walk in. It was a good call, but probably ultimately didn't matter much. On Friday, nobody we spoke to had caught a fish by 10:00 in rabbit where the grid would have been just out from the parking lot. They probably should have planned that out a little better, but again this is not really set up for a heavy harvest.

To think these guys are making a killing on this is crazy. There was at least 10 employees there and possibly 15. They are from Colorado and are out here setting up and taking down for 3-4 days. Their margin has to be razor thin after all the operation costs are deducted. If they did make a few bucks, good for them- in my opinion it's giving us options for what we love to do. As a business owner, I wouldn't touch a $20,000 job that required 15 people for 3 days out of state. I think this is as much advertisement for their business as a money maker.

Ron, I am curious of your research of professional tournaments. I haven't been able to find anything that pays out like this one did. First prize was a Polaris sportsman 4 wheeler. Jordanelle has a derby next weekend that first place wins a $250 gift card. This tournaments last place prize at 27th was valued higher than that.

I will fish with these guys again. It will probably be at blue mesa in Colorado if they do it there again. I've always wanted to fish there. I won't just go for the 4 hour tourney. I'll go a day or two early and fish anywhere I want and at any time I want. I bet I figure out a pattern that will give me a distinct advantage to leave with placing. If not- oh well. I'll have planned it and went, not just talked about doing it. That's why I fish in these things anyways.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [RonPaulFan] Starvation Ice Fishing Tournament Results - by MACMAN - 02-05-2017, 01:06 AM