Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chubs at Fish Lake and a tagged perch
A friend and I were at Fish Lake yesterday. It was 7 degrees but clear and calm. That's right hardly any wind all day and when it got up to 30 it was time to take the coat off. I think even the fish were probably Confused at the lack of wind. We started early at Twin Creeks area to get some Splake and there were very few showing on the camera and the ones that did come in would come right to the jig and then just swim away. They just did not want anything we offered to them.

We changed over to rainbow fishing and there were some small rainbows willing to play but not as many as the usual. They were mostly cruising at 6-12 ft under the surface at 30 to 40 ft deep. We caught about 20 bows and just one perch at that location and had moved around quite a bit from 25 ft out to 45 ft and most of the action was around 30ft.

Things really slowed down around noon so we decided to hike over to the weed line out from Mackinaw campground to get into some perch. While camera fishing in 12-14 ft right on the weed line I saw all kinds of fish coming in and out. The small planter rainbows were very aggressive and we kept on catching those and there were also Splake coming in and scaring the perch away but they were not at all interested in our set up. At that point I was using the smaller pink ratfinkee tipped with perch eyes. The rainbows and perch were loving that and I was very disappointed to catch a couple of chubs. Are they supposed to be in there? See pic
Man I sure hope they don't multiply and take over. I left those stupid things on the ice for the eagles to snack on.

While watching the perch sneak out of the weeds I clearly saw on my camera a tagged perch. I was so excited! It even gave my ratfinkee a good look and a quick bump and swam off. Then a few minutes later it made its way over to my buddy's line and he pulled it up. See pic

Final count was 60 fish but kind of disappointed about the lack of big fish that we used to catch.
About 30 rainbows and 1 small Splake were returned to grow bigger, 2 chubs and A bunch of perch,the big ones for fish tacos and small ones for catfish bait.

We stopped by the store and my buddy turned in the tag for a prize.
Beautiful perfect day for fishing and the tagged fish made the day!

Messages In This Thread
Chubs at Fish Lake and a tagged perch - by fryman1 - 03-03-2017, 08:11 PM