Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chubs at Fish Lake and a tagged perch
[quote Dog-lover]No criticism for fish lake, correct me if I'm wrong it's never seen Rotenone. I see the need for perch as a game fish and chubs as food for game fish. Can't speak for Panguitch but two treatments at Strawberry in my Lifetime once for Perch and once for Chubs to transition into Utah's Cutthroat Hatchery with chubs to boot. How many treatments for Scofield, is it four or five? At Taxpayers expense doing the same thing over and over seldom provides different results.[/quote]

According to the American Fisheries Society's publication on rotenone, "for each dollar spent on rotenone and stocked trout, anglers gained from $32 to $105 worth of fishing. On trout lakes that were stocked but not treated, the gain from fish stocking alone was only $10 to $15."

Based on those numbers alone, the DWR has an obligation to consider treating waters that have chub problems. Also, FWIW, right before Strawberry was poisoned last, it was receiving between "250,000 to 300,00" angler recreation hours, and about 95% of the reservoir's production was nongame fish." Now, years after the poisoning, recreation hours are annually between 1,000,000 to 1,500,000 angler hours." Similarly, Schofield, like Strawberry has seen a dramatic decrease in angler hours and is in dire need of changes to once again become a viable sport fishery. To say otherwise is simply not looking at the facts. And, to imply that rotenone treatments are too costly....is simply naive and ignorant to the value of using rotenone as a management option.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Dog-lover] Chubs at Fish Lake and a tagged perch - by wormandbobber - 03-06-2017, 09:10 PM