Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard first try at the pig
I went to Porcupine Saturday afternoon for the first time. I have driven up there a couple of times in the last 10 years just to look, but didn't have a boat and didn't bother trying from shore. Having recently upgraded my canoe with an electric motor, having a son who was anxious to try it, and being just a few miles away Saturday morning, it looked like the stars had aligned.
We got on the water around 4, and motored out across the lake to start trolling clockwise around the west end of the lake. There were a lot of recreational users with SUP's, kayaks, and canoes. The east ramp was a real party with lots of people set up right on the ramp with trucks, cars, chairs and the like, so we went to the first, very steep ramp. We parked off the side of the ramp as there is no parking area got the canoe off the roof and loaded up and headed out.
My son trolled a jakes spin-a-lure, and I ran a pink casting spoon 2 feet in front of a 1-1/2' pink tube jig. I know this is not dedicated koke gear, but this was my first time fishing for them and I used what I had. I ran 3-4-5 colors of lead core line out alternately, but neither of us ever got a recognized hit. We decided to go home after spending all day in the sun about 7, empty handed but having enjoyed our day together. Putting the canoe back on the car on the steep ramp was interesting as the boat kept sliding downhill until we got it tied on.

My son Josh is old enough to enjoy the effort almost as much as the catching. He is a decent fisherman, as I am reminded when he can take a skunking in stride. Last year he gave me a note for fathers day that I keep in my wallet even a year later. It brings me great comfort every time I read it. He didn't sign it, perhaps to maintain plausible deniability, but I remind him of it often when we have a slow day. It says "You are an even better fisherman than Josh." Good times...
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Hard first try at the pig - by gaardvark - 06-05-2017, 05:10 PM