Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups?
[quote Gemcityslayer]How about a unlimited harvest on Lakers under 24”?
Lots of people would go for a weekend and keep 100+ fish.[/quote]

From a social perspective, I understand why you would throw in the 24" restriction. But from a biological standpoint, I think it would be unnecessary. However, through education I think you could probably get more harvest without the "unlimited" regulation. Just increase it -- but allow anglers to keep 1 or 2 "large" fish as well.

[quote fishalot13]We want to manage the fishery not kill it. ...
I like Educate idea and letting people know just how good and fun lake trout fishing can be.[/quote]

Education. Exactly. Through education, anglers and non-anglers alike may realize the importance that harvest plays in a fishery. Including the harvest of large fish.

[quote fishalot13]Years back they increased the limit to 8, they have a hard time getting people to keep that many as it
is and increasing that number would do little to help if most are not even keeping the 8 limit beforehand.[/quote]

True. Increasing harvest regulations won't do any good, if people are unwilling to harvest the fish. How do you correct that behavior? You all know the answer by now: education.

[quote Anglinarcher]
I am not going to drive from Sandy Utah to FG for one day of fishing. I am not going to drive to FG for 8 pups or 8 fish total.
If you expect anglers to keep more Lakers, you have to attract more anglers..[/quote]

Anglin -- how many non-anglers go to FG every summer?

That's the beauty of Powell and stripers! Through education (ie: promote the hell out of it!!) the UDWR has been able to teach non-anglers how easy it can be to catch (and keep) stripers.

Getting more anglers to FG may be a challenge. But I think the real trick with FG is to get the people that are already there, anglers or not, to catch for lake trout. I know that might sound funny -- but we all know that there are a lot of boaters that aren't necessarily "anglers". It's that group that you need to target. The group with the bait-caster and a bobber. Get that group catching some "pup" lake trout!

There are a lot of people that are only interested in numbers. If those small lake trout are that easy to catch, then people will do it. You just have to show them how.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Anglinarcher] how can we get more people to keep a limit of laker pups? - by PBH - 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM