Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Power
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Telbone, thanks for dropping in to our little "tubatorium". I'll toss out some thoughts for you. Sorry I missed your post yesterday. It was one of those days that starts out bad, gets worse and then goes downhill from there.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have gone through uncounted different tube systems over the past 40 plus years of tubing. While I have never had the yen to profane the pristine art of float tubing with a motor, I have sometimes wished for some assisted power. Those long kicks across big waters...or fighting back to your vehicle against the wind...those will make you rethink your priorities.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Quite a few folks are rigging pontoons with electrics these days. But, when you sit completely out of the water, in a pontoon, the physics of operating a motor without anatomical mishap are simpler. When you have a good part of your lower extremities in the water, as with a tube or kickboat, you not only have more drag for the motor to work against, but you have to pay attention to where you put the motor and which direction it propels you.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Ideally, an electric would fit on the back, and pull you backwards, so that your feet would trail out behind you. That would require a remote steering mechanism that you could work without having to turn clear around in your craft to operate the controls.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have seen the various contraptions that have been fashioned for adding electric power to a tube. One of the most ingenious I saw...in a magazine...was a rig where the guy inflated a 16" car inner tube around a sturdy plastic box in the middle. He put a heavy duty marine battery in the box, and clamped the electric motor on one end. When he wanted to "motate", he brought the power unit around to the front of his craft, propped his legs (and fins) up on the sides of the tube and had the motor pulling him forward. Once he got where he wanted to fish, he either anchored the motor rig for later use, while he fished, or tethered it to the back of his craft.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have always liked the idea of simple, hands-free tubing. That's what it is all about. Yeah, there are times when you could get the job done better and faster with auxiliary power. But, as you pointed out, that's what they make boats and pontoons for. There is no "one size fits all" solution. And, it ain't illegal to have more than one system. There are plenty of folks who combine tubes, 'tunes and boats in their fishing arsenal.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you do rig something up, be sure to shoot some pictures and post them for us to look at.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Tube Power - by Telbone - 02-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Re: [Telbone] Tube Power - by maddawg - 02-17-2004, 07:59 AM
Re: [maddawg] Tube Power - by Telbone - 02-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Re: [Telbone] Tube Power - by TubeDude - 02-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Re: [Telbone] Tube Power - by releaseit - 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Re: [releaseit] Tube Power - by LloydE - 02-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Re: [LloydE] Tube Power - by TubeDude - 02-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Tube Power - by LloydE - 02-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Re: [LloydE] Tube Power - by TubeDude - 02-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Tube Power - by LloydE - 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM