Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No. Marina, No Ice, No Skunk 12-11-18
"Question--when you tie on your flig with the slip weight do you use a swiveling in front of the weight? What length of leader do use on the flig and is it a lighter weight than your main line?"

[#0000FF]I am attaching a diagram of the rig I use most often. It shows that there is a small barrel swivel (or split ring) to stop the sliding sinker.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The length of leader and the weight is where some of the finesse options come in. On some days it takes some experimentation to get it just right. On Willard, we have found that a 12 to 14" leader is about right on most days...for most species. But if you are fishing for targets that appear to be holding a little higher off the bottom on sonar, you might do better by lengthening the leader and fishing slow enough to allow the flig to keep the bait up higher.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]My Nanofil main line is usually 8 or 10#. The flig leader is usually 14# Excalibur cofilament. That is heavy enough to avoid the abuse of being wrapped up in catfish spines but does not seem to be too heavy or spook finicky biters. It is also just a bit stiffer to help avoid tangles. If you move too fast with poorly rigged baited fligs there can be some line twist. Takes some experience to learn how to rig the bait to reduce twist.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When I am fishing flig rigs at Starvation or Deer Creek...or other catless venues with perch, walleyes and trout...I will drop leader size down to 6 or 8#. And if the water is extremely clear and the fish are being picky you can even go lighter...or use fluoro.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]With a proper rig and attractive bait you will get bit. And with the slider rig you are able to see even the lightest inquiry. After that you have to know when to set the hook. In the case of active fish in warmer water that is not usually an issue. They grab and go, usually hooking themselves in the process.[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [fishday] No. Marina, No Ice, No Skunk 12-11-18 - by TubeDude - 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM