Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginners tips!
Thanks for positive reply.

Here's what I use and love it !

Ebay or Amazon sells Kastking line braid - I use 8# test/ 2# diameter on spinning, baitcast and on my Daiwa Silvercast 100A spincast reel and can make very long casts even with a 1/32 oz jig and soft plastic lures. (Who ever thought braid could be used on a push button reel! )

What I would do depending on the braided line test/diameter used is to fill the spool with junk line (IE mono) 3/4 full. If all you're using is 10 # test braid/6# diameter or smaller, fill it closer to 90 % full with junk. Smaller diameter line allows for over 30 yards to be put on and even with breakoffs, you rarely need to put more line on.

Join lines with a uni-knot and make sure someone is putting back pressure while spooling so there are no loops to impede casting. With light lures and casting into a wind, occasionally a loop might happen in which case pull line out down to the loop and rewind.

The great thing about braid:
1 long distance casts
2 excellent light strike sensitivity
3 excellent hook sets at a long distance due to zero stretch
4 great for trolling small crankbaits (as I recently discovered)
allows excellent lure action without mono's bow and buoyancy.

Not a fan of many braids sold, but KK is the best I've used an haven't replaced on different reels in over 2 years. Dark green with fade a bit in sun but the line doesn't degrade; many colors are available. In fact Kastking is a recent company that sells many fishing products: reels, rods and line and maybe other products. I only know about their different line types and I'm impressed with quality and price thus far - plus free s/h.

At times I might use a light fluorocarbon leader for light lures and deep water but usually not.

Hope this helps.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Beginners tips! - by techbud - 09-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Re: [techbud] Beginners tips! - by SenkoSam - 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Re: [SenkoSam] Beginners tips! - by lskiles - 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Re: [lskiles] Beginners tips! - by SenkoSam - 09-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Re: [techbud] Beginners tips! - by boyjaat209 - 01-25-2020, 02:58 PM