Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Whitefish Run
If you know what you're doing then a 17.5' tracker should be plenty ok if you have a high enough freeboard, but if it were me I would only make a cross lake run with that boat this time of year if you know it's a fairly nice day. That boat can take 2 1/2' waves I'm sure, but if we get a northern howler or winds from the northeast then the waves can stack up to 4 or more feet with close troughs and that would be very dangerous indeed to be out in an open bow boat in those conditions. In that situation my advise to people is to beach the boat and risk the damage rather than fight a 7 mile run across the lake from the east side to the marina. Luckily you can see that weather coming most times and can make it back with nothing more than a bumpy, wet ride. My cautions are meant mostly for those who aren't very experienced with big, rough water or those with 12-16' aluminum boats.

There is no need at all to be scared of Bear Lake, but respecting its potential is a wise idea. If any of you guys feel like you need some guidance on the Big Blue, then you can get hold of me when you are up here and I'd be more than happy to line you out on good fishing spots and how to fish in the weather that throws a curve ball at you.

I guess I may seem OVERLY cautious, but I love seeing our visitors get the most enjoyment out of their trips up here and I'm not too keen on responding to them in emergencies and seeing them harmed by our beautiful, but unforgiving weather.

Mike
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Bear Lake Whitefish Run - by Uncle_Arnie - 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Re: [catchinon] Bear Lake Whitefish Run - by gmwahl - 11-19-2019, 01:57 AM
Re: [gmwahl] Bear Lake Whitefish Run - by brookie - 11-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Re: [gmwahl] Bear Lake Whitefish Run - by dubob - 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM