Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for New Outboard ?
Older outboard HP ratings were measured at the powerhead. Newer outboards are rated at the prop. I had a 1981 50 HP Suzuki that was only 40 HP by today's standard. They made the change in 1985 I think. The HP increase was about 20%, or so I was told. On smaller boats I am of the opinion to maximize the HP up to the Coast Guard plate limit so you have the power needed to get off the lake in a hurry when needed, even with a full load and at high elevation. The only reason to under power a boat is lake HP restrictions, you only use it on very small bodies of water, cost, or not having to buy a seperate trolling motor. Not a good choice in my book. With a 19' boat, a 30HP motor is just plain dangerous if you take it on anything other than a pond. I wouldn't even consider anything under 90 HP in that boat. As for fuel injection, that is the only way to go. However, the mere fact that you have a fuel injected motor does not increase HP. The HP of the motor is what it is regardless of the fuel delivery system. Having different pitch props helps optimize engine performance for the application at hand.

My boat is a 2007 Alumacraft Navigator 165 Sport with a 90 HP Mercury Optimax direct injection 2-stroke motor. It is far from being "over-powered" and gives me the power to do anything I want to do, regardless of load or elevation.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread