Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another downrigger / trolling question
Hello all, love that this site is finally working again, I appreciate the experience, wisdom (and sometime BS Tongue) that is freely shared here on BFT.

I have a 17ft Lund Pro-sport that I use frequently for trolling.  I live in SL County so I most frequently fish Jordanelle, Rockport, and Strawberry and occasionally Bear Lake. Currently I do not have down riggers nor do I use planer boards so I typically only catch trout when I troll and have never caught a kokanee.  When I go out I am rarely skunked, but I would love to catch more fish, more frequently.  I typically fish 2 sometimes 3 poles using rod holders mounted on the back of my boat and I typically use Rapalas or similar, spoons, worm rigs (like wedding rings) or jigs tipped with worms.  I really have never used tackle like dodgers or pop gear.

If I wanted to catch more fish while trolling where are my limited $$ best spent?  Options I am considering:
1. Installing manual downriggers
2. Installing electric downriggers (seems like a big $$ investment since, in addition to the downriggers, I would need to figure out the electrical)
3. Begin using planer boards so I can fish more than 3 lines and get away from the boat
4. Invest in reels with counters and weighted line to get to depth
5. Upgrade or change out my tackle to focus more on trolling / kokanee specific rigs
6. Other options?

Thanks in advance!

Messages In This Thread
Another downrigger / trolling question - by jebrown2 - 06-15-2020, 04:55 PM