Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse ice fishing questions
(12-19-2020, 06:08 AM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: I was at smith and morehouse today. We parked on a large dirt parking lot before the turnoff to head up to SM. We took a snowmobile up there since the dirt road isn’t maintained. We took our snowmobile down the boat ramp and onto the lake. It was 10+ inches everywhere we dug holes. We started on the far shore of the lake from the road and caught a skinny rainbow and a small Kokanee. There wasn’t much activity, so we moved toward the dam. No luck in five holes there. We moved to the road side shore and pull 2 rainbows out before deciding to head back to spot one. It seems like that lake is ~30 ft deep everywhere.

It was pretty slow with not a lot of fish marked, but once the sun came out we saw multiple schools of Kokanee come out and they were hungry. We would pull 3-5 Kokanee out of a school before they move on. Average size was maybe 11 inches. They were biting multiple things but we had the most luck on a pink jig head or a perch colored spoon with a meal/wax worm on it.

On the way out we saw a few trucks driving up. They have more confidence driving in snow than I do. We didn’t have any luck with Grayling. If you have any specifics I’d be glad to try and answer them.
Thanks, that is the information I was looking for.  Remind me how far off the main road to reach S & M (my recollection is ~ 2 miles)?  Picked up my snowmobile, from my sister's in Payson, so after picking up my new-to-me boat trailer I will be good to go.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Smith and Morehouse ice fishing questions - by kentofnsl - 12-19-2020, 09:34 PM