Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me
(01-20-2021, 05:28 PM)Fisheneer Wrote: Regarding the maps on Hyrum, I haven’t found any thing that works.  So, a kayak, tube, or boat in the summer with a gps has been my only solution.  At least that has been my best success.  That assumes I can try and do math to correct for the difference in water depth, which normally I get reasonably close.

By the way, is it just me, or does the vegetation seem much taller this year.  I was running into weeds in nearly 20 feet where I normally was only seeing it in 8 to 10.  You seeing the same?  I’m thing this may be related to the mess down at the bottom.
I guess i need to fess up here, i actually have a fish finder that sends mapping data to Navionics and if I would spend more time fishing in summer months we would have better maps of Hyrum, but I only went out a couple days with that Vexilar finder since it's a cheaper model it doesn't do as good of a job as my Humminbird, so I don't use it real often, but when I do, it will make maps around my path of travel... Part of the reason the north side of Hyrum is more accurate than the south side... So probably my fault for not providing more info for them to make maps from... plus I need to criss cross travel paths to get more accurate data, and I didn't do that... So bad on me... Anyway you must be fishing a different area than I am for finding that much vegetation, so far I've been on sandy or rocky flats with no growth... I suspect you must be fishing the east end where it grows better... I've been closer to the ramp and swim beach, with a little venture to the south side, but I really haven't gotten into the east end much yet... Guess I figured with the lower water, that it wouldn't be very deep up in that end this year...  I wonder if that is what is making all the green blizzard in the lower depth of the lake this year... Might be lots of plankton too, it's sure thick... But the fish were fat down there... Anyway I do really like the maps, my only failure is when I trust them to be correct, you still need to use your tools like sonar to verify that the data is close or not... and if it's not, then don't trust the map to make decisions... but go back to old school methods... or move to where it does prove more accurate...  Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me - by SkunkedAgain - 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM
RE: Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me - by 2knots - 01-20-2021, 03:32 PM
RE: Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me - by SkunkedAgain - 01-20-2021, 03:42 PM
RE: Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me - by Fisheneer - 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM
RE: Hyrum 1-18 Slow for Me - by SkunkedAgain - 01-20-2021, 07:44 PM