Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for the fishologists on here
(07-24-2023, 06:52 PM)TubeDude Wrote: As you have correctly observed, smallies do thrive in some of the colder flows of the east...so temps are not the sole deciding factor on taking up permanent residence.  However, the available groceries are always a big issue.  Can't live if ya can't eat.

Howsomever, one of the big factors in permanent residence for smallies is a suitable and stable habitat.  Most running waters in which you find a goodly number of smallies have a fairly stable year round flow...at least enough to provide some depth and shelter out of the main current.  A rolling tumbling trout crick just won't get it for smallies...and sometimes even for trout...especially with our variations in desert weather and water conditions.
Completely agree. If we had stable flows on the Weber, the prey base and habitat would become more inviting and I bet a few Smallies would venture up and try to settle in. Not going to happen in an arid climate were flows are driven not just by melt but by discharge and recharge irrigation demands.

Most of the Smallie rivers I got to play in up in the NE part of our country were big, steady and full of deep runs and holes.

Oh on differnt subject I see the biologists dropped some more cats into Echo. I would love to see them take hold. I know there are still a few good ones in there from previous transplants. I think Ira hooked one a few years back.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew

Messages In This Thread
RE: A question for the fishologists on here - by Cowboypirate - 07-24-2023, 07:01 PM