Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newbie Tuber Windblown at Willard 8-30-23
(08-30-2023, 08:59 PM)oldguy Wrote: [quote pid="1148588" dateline="1693427133"]
Looks rough out there today I think I will stay home. Can I ask what size pvc you are using for your tube?

[/quote]
Yeah, with the iffy weather and the holiday coming up it might be best to stay away from the lake for a few days.  But lookin' better about midweek next week.

Jil's husband used several different kinds of PVC...of different sizes on her tube.   For rod holders I mostly use size 1" type 200 (thin wall) PVC.  Regular schedule 40 1" is too thick to hold the rod handles on most rods so you have to go to the heavier 1 1/4".  Are you planning something for a float tube or a boat.  Let me know if I can help.  I have several writeups on working with PVC.  Here's a closeup of some of the PVC pimping I have done on my Escape.
[Image: JIL-TUBE.jpg]  [Image: 17-PIMPED-ESCAPE.jpg]

(08-30-2023, 09:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I was out there, but from the north marina. There were more yaks, toons, and tubes staying inside that one, too. Not many boats on the main lake. At one point, the thought crossed my mind that if I got tossed out of my boat, I might not be able to swim fast enough to catch up to it again. The rough water cost me a prized rod and reel - as described in my other post.

Pat, those salt-cured shad minnows work. Or seemed to. I got some bites on them without managing a hookup using a bottom bouncer. Frankly, feeling any kind of bite was tough in those waves.
I read your post...and feel your pain.  Hope you are able to recover your old friend and fishing companion.  

It is wise to be cautious in windy weather and bumpy water...especially with a low gunnel bass boat.  Even if you are wearing a PFD, if you end up in the water it can be problematic to first catch up to your boat and second to get back in.  Been more than a few unlucky anglers who left this earth too soon for those reasons.

Glad you at least got some interest  on the salted shad.  But I'd be more impressed if you had some naked fish pictures to show for it.  Seriously, I have no doubt they will catch Willard fish...under better conditions.  But I doubt if they would outperform the frozen chubs, carp meat or perch meat some of us use.  They would have to definitely be better than the shad "preserved" in formaldehyde.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newbie Tuber Windblown at Willard 8-30-23 - by TubeDude - 08-30-2023, 10:04 PM