Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting the Garden to bed for the Winter
(01-21-2024, 08:46 PM)Kent Wrote: I just gather all of the leaves that I can from several neighbors.  I end up piling leaves, on the garden, at least 4' high and maybe even a little higher.  For the past few years, I have gone to no-till garden, so if the leaves aren't totally broken down when I am ready to plant, I just push them aside enough to be able to plant my garden.  I do add some nitrogen to the soil, because decomposing that many leaves uses up some nitrogen (or so I have been told).

Wow that's a lot of leaves Kent. You are right about the nitrogen, it really does help decompose those leaves. In years past I have added it to the soil, to help the leaves decompose but I read an article last year that said that it a good practice to leave those leaves on top of your lawn during the Winter and not rake them because during the Winter the leaves will decompose and add nutrients to the soil and be like a natural fertilizer for your lawn, so I quit adding nitrogen to my garden. With that many leaves, that you put in your garden, it sounds like it's a good idea.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Putting the Garden to bed for the Winter - by wiperhunter2 - 01-21-2024, 11:02 PM