Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propulsion Efficiency
[cool][blue][size 1]Sounds like a classic case of an accidental discovery turning out to be a good thing. Actually, the principle is sound. With regular fins and normal kicking, there is water displacement, but not a direct push against the water...as with the downward angled fin. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Designing fins that pointed down would present a problem. You could not walk while wearing them. You would have to put them on after getting into water deep enough to avoid hitting bottom.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]UNLESS...unless you had a hinge to allow them to return to a flat position when not making a thrust.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]There is a "fin" contraption that has been on the market for quite a few years, and is still sold, that operates on the horizontal thrust principle. They are a "paddle pusher" arrangement (see the attached pic) that straps to the heels and have hinged flaps that fold back on the forward kick and flare out to catch the water on the back kick.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]These allow tubers to move forward, rather than backward. Great concept, but brutal to use. They do not have enough surface area to be very effective and you need to do a lot of kicking to go anywhere. If you are sitting in a standard float tube, with a crotch strap, you also tend to develop a severe case of "crotch cramps" after a period of leaning forward on the strap while you kick around.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I bought a pair to try out, but have never had them on my own feet. I conned a (former) fishing buddy into trying them side by side with me, while I used regular fins. I could swim circles around him and actually had to tow him to shore...while he screamed at me in a high pitched voice. I think I remember that he and his wife never had any more kids.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you go into any online diving supply website, you can see a multitude of fin styles in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Like fishing lures, I think a lot of these fancy fin types are designed more to catch the buyer than for any special advantages. It would be interesting to have access to trying all of them though. That would require an unlimited allowance or some very open-minded dealers. Dream on.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Propulsion Efficiency - by TubeDude - 03-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Propulsion Efficiency - by EmuScud - 03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Re: [EmuScud] Propulsion Efficiency - by TubeDude - 03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Propulsion Efficiency - by EmuScud - 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Re: [fishmagnet] Propulsion Efficiency - by TubeDude - 04-01-2004, 12:05 PM