Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My newest "Invention" -- what do you think?
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey Nate, it looks like you worked to integrate all of the basic considerations of an effective pattern: SIZE, SHAPE, COLOR AND SILHOUETTE. Plus, with the Pete blade, you have also introduced vibration.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You are still seeking the magic formula for those non trout species. I assure you that there is really no single great truth you must learn, besides finding the fish and presenting the right offering.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In one of my favorite movies, Field Of Dreams, there is the quote "If you build it, they will come." In waters inhabited by bass, walleye, catfish and such, IF YOU SERVE IT, THEY WILL BITE. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That would seem to be an oversimplification, especially in light of all the fruitless excursions you have suffered at the fins of those devious critters in Utah Lake. But, once you refine your knowledge of the different areas of the lake, and the habits of the different target species, you can usually go forth with the positive expectation of some kind of action.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The really good news, when it comes to patterns, is that you could probably limit your box to one pattern and still catch fish the majority of the time. That would be a plain black wooly booger of large size. Then, you can add some sparkle (red or chartreuse), some contrasting color (white, chartreuse, red or purple) and you would be good to go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Believe me, I have concocted some "creative" patterns for Utah Lake, and I still have the most success on the "basic black"...throughout the year. Now, there are many times when you will do better with something bright (chartreuse), light (white or yellow) or sparkly (gold or silver). Those times depend on water temp and clarity, and the currently most abundant forage species. Sometimes that might be young crappies or white bass (white or silver). Other times it might be newly spawned carplets (gold or yellow). Still other times, there might be a lot of newly hatched catfish (basic black) upon which the predators are keying. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]How will you know what they are eating? When you get to know the lake and its cycles, you can make better guesses, but it will almost always be a guess. If you land a fish, obviously you can do a CSI investigation of the stomach contents...or watch for them to spit up recently consumed food. Then you rig and fish accordingly.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Be of good cheer. Nobody gets it right every time or all the time. Anybody who claims to be able to catch fish every time out will lie about other things too.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]By the way, when I get to set down to crank out some patterns and pics, I plan to play with some new bunny fur adaptations too. I love the way those rabbit fur strips pulse and undulate with the slightest movement of the rod tip. I have been making some big saltwater jigs from bunny fur and I am sure it will be a winner for walleye...and other recalcitrants.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [EmuScud] My newest "Invention" -- what do you think? - by TubeDude - 04-06-2004, 08:30 PM