Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fillet Boards & Tools
[cool][blue][size 1]I[/size][/blue][#000000][size 4] posted up a rerun of my catfish filleting writeup a while back. A couple of eagle-eyes spotted my custom fillet board and asked me about it. I had also done a writeup on it last year sometime, and the pics on it had disappeared too. So, by request, here is a rerun of the info on my filleting setup:[/size][/#000000][#000000][size 4]

I have been using particle board material for fillet boards for a long time. My current model is state of the art...with a 36 inch ruler along the bottom, and a large hole that can be positioned either over a sink or a trash can in the great out of doors. No fancy fish clamps. Those are designed for fishermen...not fish.

I sealed the wood on mine, and added about three coats of Minwax urethane finish. It really doesn't get too slick with water and blood, and it is large enough to accomodate a good sized fish.
[/size][/#000000][size 1]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5327;] [/size]

[#000000][size 4]My standard setup for a filleting job. I use the electric knife on most small to medium sized fish, and go up to the big blades and even the cleaver for super tough bones. Note the Kevlar glove. The only time I get cut is when I don't put it on, because I don't think I will get cut. Actually, most of my cuts are from the sharp gill covers on some fish...NOT mishandling my cutlery.

Also, note the steel, for touching up knives while you are using them. I have long believed that the most dangerous knife is a dull one...because you have to put more pressure on it to cut through fish, and you have less control.
[/size][/#000000]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fillet Boards & Tools - by TubeDude - 06-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Fillet Boards & Tools - by cat_man - 06-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Re: [cat_man] Fillet Boards & Tools - by TubeDude - 06-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Fillet Boards & Tools - by cat_man - 06-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Fillet Boards & Tools - by Gumbo - 06-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Re: [Gumbo] Fillet Boards & Tools - by TubeDude - 06-30-2004, 10:02 PM