Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Fishing Reports for Montana. 7/28
Madison River - Upper - July 25th, 2004
supplied by: [url "http://www.fisheyesoup.com/redir.php?recKey=133,re"]The Stonefly Inn[/url]
FISHING: Good
The Fishing Factor - July25th, 2004

As we reach the midway point of our summer season our schedule is starting to ease up a bit from the June/July rush. Our tactics are changing a bit, from the gentlemans hours of 9 to 6 in the spring to a bit more aggresive schedule - launching the boat at 0600, being off the water by 2 in the afternoon. Although we are not experiencing the 100+ degree days of summers past, it is still hot. An afternoon/evening float is producing well for us as well - there are plenty of fish looking up as the caddis start moving when the sun goes down. It is a good feeling sliding the boat off the trailer as most of the others are taking out - heading back to the lodge. Evenings are cool, the wildlife (and the fish) are more active and I like it. Summer tactics, for summer fish. Its whats going on around here.

There are hoppers on the Madison, hoppers on the Beav, hoppers on the Big Hole, hoppers on the Ruby, hoppers on the Yellowstone, and dont forget the summer stonefly. Just because you dont see them, doesnt mean they arent there. The attentive angler will see schucks along the rocks on all of these rivers - but they are nocturnal. Unlike the very evident salmonfly hatch of 1 month ago - these fish only see them in the wee hours, and they know it. The nymphs are there, the fish eat them on a regular basis as well, but to get them to eat it on top - you better be fishing the first or last hour of the day.

As far as the catching - the big fish are out to play. The day after the wedding, I floated with my two cousins - some 10 years had passed since we wet a line together - and we saw more big fish to the fly in one day than I have ever seen. The weeks since then have been steadily producing several opportunities per day at larger than average fish.

With August right around the corner, the hopper fishing should get nothing but better, the foothills are green, the rivers have water and we have a few openings. Maw nature is taking good care of us sportsmen this year with daily rainstorms minus the dry lightning, and the word around the campfire is that the fire season that so many run from is gioing to be minimal. If you have a hankering to toss a fly to the banks in Montana this fall, and havent already made your reservations, now is the time - who knows, your picture could be on the next newsletter with a 20"+ Montana brwon trout.

Messages In This Thread
Re: [tubeN2] Recent Fishing Reports for Montana. 7/13 - by tubeN2 - 07-28-2004, 04:29 PM