Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabelas Kamloops Pontube?
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the links. Good stuff and very helpful in making comparisons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After watching the video a couple of times, I (like Zonker) have some "issues". First of all, the craft is very obviously made with the fly rodder in mind. Good for that group, but not for the rest of us. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Okay idea on the stripping basket, but I have always preferred facing forward and dropping the line straight down. It is apparent that the guy in the video prefers that too. At the end of the video, there he is stripping his line into his lap, not even using the stripping basket. Credibility??? Nope.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am also 6'3" and too far over 250 to feel properly floated in something rated below 300 pounds. Their "low profile" is not a selling point to me. Like Z, I want some altitude and protection against splashes and ripples. When the "light breezes" common to western fishing come up, I do not let the wind hit me from the side anyway. I point the bow into the wind and position myself to fish downwind...letting the wind help my casting and not hinder it. Then, when it gets too windy to fish at all, I'm outta there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] My visual impression is that the Kamloops has very thin air chambers at the pointed bow/stern. I know they are thinner than at that point on my SFC. The guy in the video appeared to be able to almost sink the back of his craft while maneuvering around. I am wondering what would happen if I leaned back to set the hook on a biggun and there was not enough floatation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The other aspect of "low profile" that comes to mind is reduced propulsion while kicking. Typically, the higher you ride, with the less of you and your craft below the waterline, the faster you can move with less effort.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was what constituted both the major advantage and diSadvantage of the Kennebec I jockeyed for over a year. The big long pontoons had a lot of floatation, and rode high on the water. That made for efficient kicking but became a liability in the wind. The rounded ends on those pontoons did not aid in tracking when you wanted to position yourself in a breeze. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, I guess it is a tradeoff. You either go for the low profile, as a hedge against the potential for wind...giving up propulsion efficiency...or you go high and dry for more floatation and speed, but sacrifice control in the wind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks again KK for the enlightenment.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Cabelas Kamloops Pontube? - by OldJigHead - 12-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Re: [kevinkay] Cabelas Kamloops Pontube? - by TubeDude - 12-23-2005, 06:48 PM