Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Tip of the Day
[center][#ff0000]<" }}^ >< Ice Fishing Tip #48[/#ff0000][/center] [center][#ff0000][/#ff0000] [/center]
[font "Times New Roman"]Enhancing your ice jigs.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Many of us have jigs left over from last year, if you are anything like me, then you hate to throw away anything that can be of use.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Many of us have jigs that have chipped paint from being pinched by our hemostats; some of us just want to dress up some of our less productive jigs. And others who want to just do a complete make over. Others may have jigs with hooks worn down past the barb.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Ok so they only cost a buck or three to replace. When you have to replace 10 there is twenty bucks right there. And during hard times even the price of a hook can break the bank for those of us who fish for food and not sport.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]For others it is a labor of love, we just aint happy if we aren’t doing something constructive while waiting for the ice to set up.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Most any old jig can be made over in to a real gem of a lure. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Tools and materials are needed of which most can be found around an anglers’ house. Pencil torch or small soldering torch, old fly vice, silver solder, number #8 long shanks Aberdeen hooks, epoxy, fine tipped paint brushes, your gal’s old finger nail polish, jig head paints powder or liquid, fly tying odds and ends, split shot sinkers and any other tidbits you may have around the house. Even enamel paint markers can be used.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]If you don’t have this item you will want to pick it up, Gloss clear fingernail polish, and glow in the dark fingernail polish that can be found at any Halloween or gag shop. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]My favorite and most used enhancement is to put a little glow polish on my teardrop jigs. This is a real help when fishing in depths of 20-25 feet or more especially when the ice gets deep and snow covered. This enhancement can be applied to any jig body regardless to the finished condition. Or you can touch them up then apply the glow gloss. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]If you have glow powder you can mix that with clear fingernail polish to make a glow powder of your own. One thin coat will allow the original color of the lure to shine through. I have even used my glow powder mixed in foxy epoxy and plied to lures for a spectacular finish when adding glitter. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Another thing you can do is tie skirts, streamers and wings to your jig heads. You can use epoxy or nail polish to weight down old fly heads in to jig bodies. I have used small flies on a separate lead from my jig to catch a few bonus fish.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I will admit I am a hack when it comes to painting and fine touch ups even tho’ my jigs do pull up the fish but they aint pretty, so I am going to refer you to a post by Tubedude, a true master of jig making and finishing. He is the man you want to talk to about the fine art.[/font]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=233157;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"][#000000]Glow goodies[/#000000][/url] [left] [/left]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 08-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 02-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by Flagmanonice - 02-24-2002, 04:40 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 02-24-2002, 09:04 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 03-12-2002, 06:37 AM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 03-24-2002, 05:30 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by theangler - 03-25-2002, 12:17 AM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 03-25-2002, 05:19 AM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by davetclown - 04-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Re: Ice Fishing Tip of the Day - by ssor - 04-06-2002, 02:21 AM