Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your opinion, and help
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hi there Discman -[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Apparently Pflueger has been making the Medalist #1494 since the 30’s and the Pfoot model since the 80’s. For the money about $20-$30 one can’t go wrong. But still you get what you pay for. If you haven’t abused it [lube when necessary, keep screws tightened and free of sand it should work okay. To some degree the reel is just a place to store your line. A good rod and line are the two essential ingredients of your equipment. You have a good rod and you should load it with a good quality line. However, good fly lines are not cheap. Plan to spend around $50. I like Scientific Anglers Mastery Series which I have loaded on my Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor 4wt reel. It is a WF specialty line for trout. Cost $60. Once you become proficient with your casting techniques you might want to consider up grading your reel. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Keeping the connections waxed is making reference to the ferrules. I don’t think that this is necessary unless when you seat them they wiggle. Taping or waxing the ferrules to prevent separation of the rod’s sections is generally done on older spinning and bait casting rigs. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]You might have a floating line with a sinking tip. Do you recall any details about your line?[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]How often one changes lines depends upon use and abuse. Fishing fast rivers and streams [/size][/green][/font][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]will be more abrasive on your line than fishing out of a tube on a lake. Since I do most of the latter I went 10yrs before changing my lines.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Buying fly lines on-line is something that I have no experience. Since I am also into photography – I will leave you with this analogy – buy an expensive camera and a cheap lens will give you photos that you will want to hide in a closet. My advice is not to load a good rod with a cheap line. I don’t profess to know everything about fly-fishing equipment only that I know what I like and what works for me. I am sure the FlyGoddess can offer you some good advice since she is in the business.Good luck.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 4][green] [/green][/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Your opinion, and help - by Discman - 01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Re: [Discman] Your opinion, and help - by Dryrod - 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Re: [Dryrod] Your opinion, and help - by Discman - 01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Re: [Discman] Your opinion, and help - by Dryrod - 01-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Re: [Discman] Your opinion, and help - by Dryrod - 01-25-2006, 07:13 PM