Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Fishing Story Contest.
I'll kick things off with a story from back in my teenage years [cool]

When I was younger, we use to shark fish from the tidal breakers a little past Garden City peir in Garden City Beach, SC. They aren't but about 2 feet off the the water at high tide, and only about 2 1/2 feet wide and have no rails.

My buddy and I were fishing there one night. It was only a couple of days past the full moon, so the tide was a little high. We had been fishing all night, and hadn't got the first run. I remember my salty partner reeling in his bait to freshen it up a bit. While he was digging in the cooler for some fresh scraps, he had laid down his old black faced Penn 6/0, and his bait was just barely dangling in the water because of the long leader.

Normally what we'd do if we hung a shark was head strait to the beach and fight him from there. It really wasn't safe on those breakers, especially considering how close to the water they are, and how slippery the ancient wood construction was with the surf crashing over the side.

I was on the front of the little tide breaker, and I turned around and saw the biggest shark I'd ever seen!!!!!! My partner had his back turned to his rod, and that shark seemed suspended in the water, almost completely on his side, staring up at us. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life, and the first thing I thought of was if that shark really wanted to take a chunk out of our rear end, it wouldn't be too difficult. About the time I saw the shark, my buddy turned around and freaked out. I almost ran over him bolting to the safety of the beach. We finally went out and got our equipment after the tide went down. He never admited it, but I swear he peed his pants. [cool] Needless to say, I never shark fished from those breakers again. I always wanted to know what kind of shark that was, it was so dark and it happened so fast, I wasn't able to tell.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Crazy Fishing Story Contest. - by Tarpon4me - 04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Re: [Tarpon4me] Crazy Fishing Story Contest. - by Tarpon4me - 04-28-2006, 12:02 AM