Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco question
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sounds like you got all the info regarding the proclamation but here's the second part of your question.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think you're missing the point about the whole quality of bait issue. This applies to any bait but I'll go with cisco here.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The best quality bait is as fresh as possible as it unthaws. The texture of the meat has not been compromised thus it will stay on a hook much longer. Bait of inferior quality; this includes snagged cisco, do not hold up as well as cisco that have not been snagged through the guts or meaty portions. These "inferior" baits have a tendency to turn mushy faster and not stay on the hook as well as bait that has not been compromised by a hook. The happy medium is that the cisco has been snagged in the head and which doesn't effect the meat but how lucky are you in this regard. That's why I prefer bonking.[Tongue][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Also how you handle the cisco after you get them, whether it's dip netting or snagging, reflects on it quality. Ultimately, bring them up and immediately freezing them is the best scenario, then vacuum packing them to better preserve their freshness. Freezer burn also deteriorates the quality of your bait. How you handle your bait on the water also effects the quality of your bait. You should keep it frozen as long as possible right up to the time of using to maintain the quaility. The second it thaws out it starts to go bad.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Yes, you will cut it up but this is not what compromised the quality of the bait, unless your knife is dull and tears the meat off instead of neatly slicing it. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I hope this helps answer your question.[/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Cisco question - by Old_Coot - 02-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Re: [Old_Coot] Cisco question - by kentofnsl - 02-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Re: [Old_Coot] Cisco question - by BearLakeMack - 02-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Re: [Old_Coot] Cisco question - by RipNLips - 02-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Re: [RipNLips] Cisco question - by Old_Coot - 02-02-2003, 12:28 AM