Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT'S ABOUT TIME
[cool]Red and white is a universal killer combo for many predatory species. However, there can be different results with different colors of red...and different sizes and shapes on the markings. The old red head and white body was originated on some of the old time bass plugs...which are now worth a fortune if you still have any in your inherited tackle boxes.

I recent years, with advancing technology, there are many shades of whites and pearls...and innumerable variations of reds. On spoons, crankbaits, jerkbaits, chuggers, poppers and other hardbaits, red heads and red stripes are still a popular combo with whites. In plastics, some white and pearl twisters, grubs and shad bodies incorporate red heads or tails, and even red stripes molded into the plastic or added as a top color.

My favorite red and white combo is with white twisters or shad, using a red head or a white head with a red eye. Sometimes the dark red works better. Other times a hot red gets more strikes. Always have both.

In much of the south and the southwest, spawning bass are more likely to pounce on something they perceive to be a natural nest pillager...like lizards (salamandars), crawfish, sunfish or shad. Big plastic worms, in a variety of colors often irritate big mama bass into grabbing them and carrying them out of the nests.

But, sometimes "less is more". I have finessed some big bass with the use of small lures, when I got little or no response to the larger standard offerings. It pays to know the waters and the habits of the fish where you fish the most. There can be great differences in the habits and preverences of the same species in different states and climate zones. Heck, they can act different from one day to the next in the same body of water.

That's what makes fishing fun. No matter how much science we bring into it, there is still a lot of art that can not be replaced by technology.

By the way, what kind of camera did you sacrifice to the fishing gods? Was it really an accident, or just another fisherman's excuse to upgrade? "Gee honey. As long as I have to buy a new one, why don't I just spend a few more dollars and get that one I have been lusting after?" Hope it works.

On that float tube thing, why not post a "TUBE WANTED" shot on a few of the boards here at BFT. What you will find about us donut dunkers is we are kind of like computer nerds. Always got to upgrade. That means you can probably pick up a decent used tube with a good hard drive and a lot of RAM for a very reasonable price.

We might need to discuss that river running thing. Unless you are experienced...and the water is deep and slow...you should think about honing your skills on still water first. Not that river running in a tube is not both fun and productive, it's mainly that you need to be able to concentrate on fishing, and not so much on staying alive in moving water. Tell me about your river.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
IT'S ABOUT TIME - by TubeDude - 01-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Re: [TubeDude] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by lonehunter - 02-08-2003, 04:53 AM
Re: [lonehunter] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by TubeDude - 02-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Re: [TubeDude] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by lonehunter - 02-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Re: [lonehunter] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by TubeDude - 02-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Re: [TubeDude] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by lonehunter - 02-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Re: [TubeDude] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by Xman - 02-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Re: [Xman] IT'S ABOUT TIME - by TubeDude - 02-10-2003, 11:48 AM