Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batlett/Saguaro
[cool]Yeah, there are some sixty pounders in Bartlett. And, when their metabolism is high, during the warm months of summer, they are about as tough as any fish you ever want to hook.

The one thing that really makes flatheads different than channels or blues is their preference for living prey. The best baits are live sunfish, suckers or small carp. They are aggressive "sight feeders" and they are frequently hooked on crankbaits and plastics being fished for bass or other species. They really slam a lure when they hit, and can run lilke a freight train.

Many flathead fans claim that they are the best eating of all catfish. I do not disagree. I cut big thick fillets of each side, and then slice thin steaks from the fillets. Deep fried, with a good coating, they are very mild and melt in your mouth. I especially like the "belly strips" off the big boys.

Given that flatheads are big and strong, it is amazing how many big ones are caught on crappie tackle each spring. While the fish are still charging their batteries in the warming spring water, they will hit small lures too. The Kansas state record...over 100 pounds...was taken by a crappie fisherman on crappie sized gear. I have taken several between twenty to thirty pounds on six pound line and small lures.

If you really wanna get into some hand to fin combat, Predator, you oughtta come down and give these bad boys a try. Xman has a trip planned down her for April, and we are going both for a 2# plus crappie, for his wall, and at least one flathead over 20#, We will probably focus on Roosevelt Lake, where the odds are pretty good for both.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Batlett/Saguaro - by AZBassman - 01-28-2003, 12:48 AM
Re: [AZBassman] Batlett/Saguaro - by TubeDude - 01-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Batlett/Saguaro - by AZBassman - 01-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Re: [AZBassman] Batlett/Saguaro - by TubeDude - 01-31-2003, 02:06 AM
Re: [AZBassman] Batlett/Saguaro - by PREDATOR - 02-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Re: [PREDATOR] Batlett/Saguaro - by TubeDude - 02-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Batlett/Saguaro - by PREDATOR - 02-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Re: [AZBassman] Batlett/Saguaro - by lonehunter - 02-18-2003, 08:31 PM