Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.L. White Bass Problem
Until they get rid of the carp the June Sucker recovery program will be a waste of time and money. It seems the only reasonable way to get rid of the carp will be to "nuke" the lake like they did at Strawberry back in the early 90's. Sure it will non-selectively kill off everything in there including any June Suckers as well as all game fish. Don't they have some breeding stock of June Suckers they they could use to reintroduce once the carp are gone and the normal lake vegetation starts re-growing. Seems like it would be worth sacrificing a few for the greater good of reestablishing the habitat so that the reintroduced suckers have half a chance to grow and reproduce.

W&B I know you think that most of us fisherman are narrow minded and can't see the big picture. Might be true. But I can't help but think that it is very narrow minded to think that the restoration of Utah lake can only happen through the June Sucker recovery program.

I say "nuke" the lake, get rid of the carp, reestablish the vegetation and habitat, and then reintroduce the June Sucker as well as the useful game fish that are currently in there. Then let them duke it out in the survival of the fitest model without the carp being an issue.

I'm sure my thinking is flawed as I am sure you will point out. I did read the book about the history of Utah Lake written by the June Sucker recovery program people so I can understand your point of view. I just don't think it has a chance without a reasonable method to get rid of the carp.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
U.L. White Bass Problem - by utfishguy31 - 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Re: [TubeDude] U.L. White Bass Problem - by Nica - 01-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Re: [wormandbobber] U.L. White Bass Problem - by Bigcat - 01-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Re: [hashbaz] U.L. White Bass Problem - by UTBASS - 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM